Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Sorry, no. My little Peugeot (107) is on 14" steels. Did consider a Panda for the AWD and roof rails but the Yellow Peril came up and was just too cute. In hindsight, I could have waited and then I probably wouldn't perennially have an inch of water in the back footwell. 

The Panda is pretty good really. Very capable offroad, reasonable on diesel. A joy to park compared to any of my other vehicles. Would tow a small trailer with your Sherpa no bother too.

It's certainly the answer to the perennial question- what car for a self employed handcutter.

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

The Panda is pretty good really. Very capable offroad, reasonable on diesel. A joy to park compared to any of my other vehicles. Would tow a small trailer with your Sherpa no bother too.

It's certainly the answer to the perennial question- what car for a self employed handcutter.

Have the petrol engines got a good reputation? The 998cc 3 cylinder in the 107 is chain driven and apparently hard to go wrong with. 

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Have the petrol engines got a good reputation? The 998cc 3 cylinder in the 107 is chain driven and apparently hard to go wrong with. 

The 1.3 Multijet diesel is also chain driven. Seems OK, but sluggish in the Panda compared to the same motor in the Corsa. Never gave me any trouble in the Corsa save an injector seal.

I'm going to add a tuning chip, but not wind it up too far as I know the gearboxes can't take that much torque.

11 minutes ago, doobin said:

The 1.3 Multijet diesel is also chain driven. Seems OK, but sluggish in the Panda compared to the same motor in the Corsa. Never gave me any trouble in the Corsa save an injector seal.

I'm going to add a tuning chip, but not wind it up too far as I know the gearboxes can't take that much torque.

Good answer. Different question but nevertheless a good answer. 

1 hour ago, Stere said:

If the enviro is an issue you  take seriously tyres should be retreaded if possible

If doing everything you can to avoid a hideous tyre related accident is an issue you also take seriously then they are best avoided.

Fine in principle, but has never worked well in practice.

Unfortunately!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Big J said:

You are wrong there.

We had a C4 Grand Picasso years ago. Came with summer tyres. I ordered cheap all seasons in December from Germany. Before they came, we had 2 inches of snow. Our drive to the house at that time was gently to moderately uphill, with a sharp corner you wouldn't be able to carry any speed through.

It took me a solid 5 minutes to get up on summer tyres. It was 150m. The abs system had a panic attack at the top, the whole dash lit up and had to be recovered to Citroen.

In the meantime, the tyres arrived. They were changed whilst at the garage.

Two weeks later, another 2 inches of snow and it drove up like it wasn't there.

Not only that, but we had more snow a few weeks later. I was climbing a steep hill out of a village called Ecclesmachen when I encountered a transit reversing down. He leaned out the window so I stopped. He said I'd never get up there (6 inches of slushy snow). I reassured him that I'd be fine and pulled away effortlessly.

That is the difference between summer and all season tyres in British snow.

As I mentioned, I really liked having genuine Winter Tyres in Norway. Studs even more so. It converted my Beemer 3 Series from something that could not climb a simple hill to an ice drifting machine. 

It seems you’re more concerned about getting up a slope than down it. Yet the accidents seem to happen when gravity plays its part. On a sheet of ice or polished/compacted snow and a driver who see’s these conditions a couple of days a year if they’re not on holiday will still slide down the hill and bash the car/cars in front regardless of it’s summer, mixed or Winter tyres. Lifting the ban on studs would see an end to it of course. 

4x4 obviously makes a huge difference. I was pulling vans up hills in my 265/50/20 summer tyres all day for the only dump of snow we had last Winter. In Scotland. 

Gotta love a Jeep. 😁

8 hours ago, Big J said:

You do live in just about the mildest place in the entirety of the UK. To judge the merits of a winter suitable tyre on the basis of where you're located isn't logical. 

I would say that for anywhere outside the lower ground of the west country or the south coast, a strong case can be made for all seasons.

Been as low as -12 here the last week. Anecdotal I know but I’ve seen one accident and that was a van on its side. 

38 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

As I mentioned, I really liked having genuine Winter Tyres in Norway. Studs even more so. It converted my Beemer 3 Series from something that could not climb a simple hill to an ice drifting machine. 

It seems you’re more concerned about getting up a slope than down it. Yet the accidents seem to happen when gravity plays its part. On a sheet of ice or polished/compacted snow and a driver who see’s these conditions a couple of days a year if they’re not on holiday will still slide down the hill and bash the car/cars in front regardless of it’s summer, mixed or Winter tyres. Lifting the ban on studs would see an end to it of course. 

4x4 obviously makes a huge difference. I was pulling vans up hills in my 265/50/20 summer tyres all day for the only dump of snow we had last Winter. In Scotland. 

Gotta love a Jeep. 😁

Ever tried snow chains ? Had some for my first truck but it never snowed enough to warrant them down here .

• Like 1