Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

J I dont think anybody disputes that winter tyres in winter conditions are far superior. It's the frequency of these conditions for those in warmer parts of the UK that is the sticking point.

A local weather station on the edge or Dartmoor at 700' shows just 6 days with an air frost in the last year! Now wet weather tyres would make sense as we had rain every day from the 3rd of December to 6th of January but I still dont think everyone in the UK should have them as there are water shortages in parts of the SE.

Think some drivers go to the limit of their traction regardless of what tyres they have on. You can't make idiots smart with rules.

Edited by Woodworks

6 hours ago, Woodworks said:

J I dont think anybody disputes that winter tyres in winter conditions are far superior. It's the frequency of these conditions for those in warmer parts of the UK that is the sticking point.

A local weather station on the edge or Dartmoor at 700' shows just 6 days with an air frost in the last year! Now wet weather tyres would make sense as we had rain every day from the 3rd of December to 6th of January but I still dont think everyone in the UK should have them as there are water shortages in parts of the SE.

Think some drivers go to the limit of their traction regardless of what tyres they have on. You can't make idiots smart with rules.

You do make a good point. My brother is in Exeter so I know how warmer it is. I am happy to take suggestions on how to present a more sensibly worded petition. 

We're mild compared to much of Scotland and indeed much of central England and Wales. We've had 44 frosts so far this winter.

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

How about people being responsible for their actions by law? Much like how it’s been since 1200 ish.

If we all relied on people's common sense, then we would get no where. 

Seatbelts are a good example. A restraint for stopping a person flying through the windscreen is clearly sensible, but it had to be enshrined in law for universal adoption to occur.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 1

What I described doesn’t rely on common sense. It relies on wronged people suing those who wronged them and those who wrong themselves suffering the consequences. I couldn’t care less if people wear seatbelts. What business is it of mine if they want to take a risk of hurting themselves? Likewise, why should you care about people risking skidding. If they hit you, sue them and they won’t do it again. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out the sort of unforeseen consequence what you proposed could cause. Legislation having cobra effects is well known. It’s just a shit idea I’m afraid. Don’t worry. I’ve had loads too.

It's all well and good saying just sue the person that crashed into you because they didn't have suitable tyres on. What if you're left with life changing injuries? What if you are killed? Your argument is poor. 

I care very much if people are skidding all over the place in wintery conditions because not only do they run the risk of hitting me, but the general inability to safely get from point a to point b means that the road infrastructure grinds to a halt even with with a minute amount of snow or ice. The reason I care about whether or not people have season suitable tyres is the same reason that I care that people have brakes that work, steering that works and the general upkeep of their vehicles. It's the same reason I care that they have licences and are able to adequately control their vehicles. It's simply a case of road safety.

• Like 1