Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

For the number of days / year they might be useful in UK the cost benefit ration simply doesn't stack up for the average motorist.  I'll concede - beneficial to some transport / emergency services / essential users perhaps - but not your average Joe.  Just not gonna happen.

I'm actually really disappointed J, that you don't seem to have mentioned / considered the grave environmental impact (a) of road tyres generally, and (b) the increased harm of a softer compound all year round.  

Tyres are made from synthetic rubber, a derivative of crude oil, and contain a number of toxic organic compounds, including known carcinogens. As they make contact with the road, they release tiny particles measuring less than 23 nanometres, which pollute the air, soil and water.

The softer the compound, the more they degrade in use....

Yome flogging a dead horse with this one mate.

They're not softer, they're a different mix.

When I started selling motorcycle tyres a good gripping rear tyres used hard done 2k miles at best. You can now get a rear tyre which will grip as well as that, work in the wet, and do 5k miles. You can also get a tyre which will work in the wet, grip better than 90% of motorcyclists can ride and do 10k miles.

I done a bit of testing and evaluation work for Michelin through the noughties, and every set of tyres they send you was a big step forwards from what was available previously.

Crossclimates were one of the first car tyres to benefit from all that improvement on two wheels which is why I had no qualms about ordering them as soon as they became available.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

They're not softer, they're a different mix.

When I started selling motorcycle tyres a good gripping rear tyres used hard done 2k miles at best. You can now get a rear tyre which will grip as well as that, work in the wet, and do 5k miles. You can also get a tyre which will work in the wet, grip better than 90% of motorcyclists can ride and do 10k miles.

I done a bit of testing and evaluation work for Michelin through the noughties, and every set of tyres they send you was a big step forwards from what was available previously.

Crossclimates were one of the first car tyres to benefit from all that improvement on two wheels which is why I had no qualms about ordering them as soon as they became available.

Fair play!  That's a solid argument from a position of experience rather than my random BS 😂

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

For the number of days / year they might be useful in UK the cost benefit ration simply doesn't stack up for the average motorist.  I'll concede - beneficial to some transport / emergency services / essential users perhaps - but not your average Joe.  Just not gonna happen.

I'm actually really disappointed J, that you don't seem to have mentioned / considered the grave environmental impact (a) of road tyres generally, and (b) the increased harm of a softer compound all year round.  

Tyres are made from synthetic rubber, a derivative of crude oil, and contain a number of toxic organic compounds, including known carcinogens. As they make contact with the road, they release tiny particles measuring less than 23 nanometres, which pollute the air, soil and water.

The softer the compound, the more they degrade in use....

Yome flogging a dead horse with this one mate.

You do live in just about the mildest place in the entirety of the UK. To judge the merits of a winter suitable tyre on the basis of where you're located isn't logical. 

I would say that for anywhere outside the lower ground of the west country or the south coast, a strong case can be made for all seasons.

33 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Fair play!  That's a solid argument from a position of experience rather than my random BS 😂

That having been said, concerns over the environmental aspect of tyre wear is entirely valid.

In those earlier years of supplying tyres I was really struggling with the amount of waste being generated in so few miles which is why I was very ready to assist in any way possible when Michelin embarked on the increased longevity route, including encouraging my customers to try them once I'd tested them for myself and was satisfied with the performance.

It's an aspect of traffic pollution too often glossed over or never even considered at all.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Big J said:

You do live in just about the mildest place in the entirety of the UK. To judge the merits of a winter suitable tyre on the basis of where you're located isn't logical. 

I would say that for anywhere outside the lower ground of the west country or the south coast, a strong case can be made for all seasons.

I was just pleased to be able to yank your chain a bit J....

I mean, you're going to run out of reasons to denigrate the UK if things carry on like they are:

TIME.COM

Belgian federal prosecutors have charged four people, including E.U. Parliament Vice President Eva Kaili.

b6953137-786e-ed9c-5ee2-6812c0f8f07f

TRADINGECONOMICS.COM

This page displays a table with actual values, consensus figures, forecasts, statistics and historical data charts for -...

😂. All in good nature and wishing you and yours a good Christmas in Swedenlandshire...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I mean, you're going to run out of reasons to denigrate the UK if things carry on like they are:

TIME.COM

Belgian federal prosecutors have charged four people, including E.U. Parliament Vice President Eva Kaili.

TRADINGECONOMICS.COM

This page displays a table with actual values, consensus figures, forecasts, statistics and historical data charts for -...

😂. All in good nature and wishing you and yours a good Christmas in Swedenlandshire...

Its brilliant! 

In my mind a certain percentage of politicians are always going to be corrupt. Get a massive gaggle of them together (ie the EU) then naturally theres going to be even more corruption.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

TIME.COM

TRADINGECONOMICS.COM

I mean that MEP is a bit of alright, if we're being fair.

If you were a Qatari sheik with stacks of cash lying about, wouldn't you throw her a bit too? 😆

A Merry Christmas to you and yours in the land of Eternal Rain :D

• Haha 1