Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

22 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

OK came across some research the other day, the things I come across watching utube its amazing..

The human heart beats three times as long as any other mammals.. typically other mammals get one billion beats before they drop down dead.. the human heart lasts for three billion beats...

what should this tell you?....   working yourself up into a state at the gym is gonna take years off...   stick to aerobic exercises if you fancy living to old age...   and the shoulders, don't forget to exercise those..   much more important than you might think.. roll your shoulders and see if that doesn't have a calming effect on your mind....

:confused1:

Vespasian, that is Donald Trump's logic, and it's fundamentally flawed. Any one of a thousand peer reviewed studies will tell you that regular exercise with (on average) increase the length of your life. If you're looking at it from the point of view of heart beats, then consider elite cyclists. True, they train very hard for long periods of time, with their heartrate reaching 200 BPM, but on the flip side, their resting heart rate is 30-40 BPM, meaning that per week, their heart beats far less often. 

Beyond that, consider my situation. I was in constant pain 12 weeks ago, having been in constant pain for nearly 10 years. I'm now in virtually no pain. It's incredible. I'd rather live a shorter pain free life, if that's the cost.

19 minutes ago, Big J said:

Vespasian, that is Donald Trump's logic, and it's fundamentally flawed. Any one of a thousand peer reviewed studies will tell you that regular exercise with (on average) increase the length of your life. If you're looking at it from the point of view of heart beats, then consider elite cyclists. True, they train very hard for long periods of time, with their heartrate reaching 200 BPM, but on the flip side, their resting heart rate is 30-40 BPM, meaning that per week, their heart beats far less often. 

Beyond that, consider my situation. I was in constant pain 12 weeks ago, having been in constant pain for nearly 10 years. I'm now in virtually no pain. It's incredible. I'd rather live a shorter pain free life, if that's the cost.

Well perhaps the cyclists have it..   cycling is sort of aerobic, perhaps a study to see if cyclists last longer than other athletes?.. 

44 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Well perhaps the cyclists have it..   cycling is sort of aerobic, perhaps a study to see if cyclists last longer than other athletes?.. 

Cycling is almost exclusively aerobic. Are you confusing anaerobic and aerobic? 

Professional cyclists tend not to live to a ripe old age. I suspect the concoction of blood transfusions, drugs and running at 4% fat for long periods stresses the body a lot. 

Maybe the newer generation of professionals, none of which dope ;), will last longer 

I don't lift weights to help me at work nor do I do tree work to help me lift weights. I lift because I enjoy it. I do tree work because I enjoy it. I believe lifting can be extremely helpful in this job, I also believe sometimes it can be a slight hindrance. I'm 29 tomorrow and have been going to the gym since I was 13 so I've been training longer than I haven't. It's not made me a world class arborist nor has it made me a lump of mess who can't complete a days work. Experience in both is key. Injury prevention is numero uno

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:15, Vespasian said:

OK came across some research the other day, the things I come across watching utube its amazing..

The human heart beats three times as long as any other mammals.. typically other mammals get one billion beats before they drop down dead.. the human heart lasts for three billion beats...

what should this tell you?....   working yourself up into a state at the gym is gonna take years off...   stick to aerobic exercises if you fancy living to old age...   and the shoulders, don't forget to exercise those..   much more important than you might think.. roll your shoulders and see if that doesn't have a calming effect on your mind....

Your heart rate will rise from any sort of exercise be it aerobic or otherwise . It is good to exercise your heart . The recovery time to resting heart beat becomes shorter the more you exercise and become fitter .  Rolling your shoulders is fine too if you want .

The Gym (like Arbtalk) Changed my life along with becoming T-total. It has changed my body and my mind.So for me it was a complete lifestyle change.Climbing is easier,I sleep better,my happiness levels are through the roof and i have more money.I train about 4 or 5 times a week with plenty of rest inbetween and my nutririon is 9
On point....I am the fittest i have ever been and i will be 50 in 2 months time. I Lift moderate weight but do high volume.Works for me!7e0eee2c1d398ae83bddeb2224e4c45b.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good Silky! Age is no excuse for not including a bit of supplementary exercise. I just wish I hadn't lost the last 9 years to chronic pain and had gone back to the gym years ago. 

I've completely disabled my legs today. I'm 4 sessions (4 sessions in 6 days, with 48hrs between each session) back into squatting and loving it. Did 10 doubles with 80kg (low weight, I know) for speed and then a set of 20 with 60kg. Within 15 seconds of completing the set my right quad cramped quite badly and I was unable to do any more leg work. I hobbled around the rest of my routine, and not even getting out of the chair is quite a challenge. The worst DOMS I've ever had (and I used to train hard, so have suffered in the past)!

So, do 20 rep squats folks! Supposedly unparalleled for leg development, and the high volume squatting is really hitting my core too. 

Daft this is that out of about 100 other people I've seen lifting in the gym this last week, I've only seen 2 other people squatting. Why does the average lifting neglect their legs?

• Like 1