Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

With a pause as well. Bloody impressive. I forget where I heard it, but the theory was that you can bench with a higher frequency than other lifts. I'd never have the patience to do enough back work to balance out three days a week of benching though! 

Got have a little pause [emoji6] it is ok to bench more regularly than other lifts but I cannot stress enough warm up and get those rotators nice really well warmed up on low weights if u don't you will suffer so many times I see lads come into the gym go strait to bench stick a 20plate either side and bang a few reps out then stick either 20 on and couple more reps then go to the near max and grind a few half reps out and wonder why they never advance a proper bench plane is essential for strength and size gains
  • Like 1

Quite agree. I'm taking my time on warm ups at the moment as the motions aren't second nature again yet. Bench goes something like: 10@20, 8@40, 8@60, 5@80 and then whatever the working sets are. Did an easy 1@100kg the other day, but reckon I've got 105-110kg in there are the moment. I'm on a fairly standard grip now though (used to be narrow grip as better carry over to log press) as I figure that I go enough tricep work elsewhere. Also, with my 7ft wingspan, middle finger on the rings is still pretty narrow. 

Squats require serious warm ups at the moment to get past the DOMS from the previous session. So 8@bodyweight, 8@20kg, 8@40kg, 5@60kg, 5@80kg and so on. 

I never bothered with a pause on the bench (beyond sometimes pausing the final rep on a set) as I never trained for powerlifting specifically, but I don't bounce. Touch and go. I'm very strong off my chest and weak on lockout.

Wowzers!

How do you guys feel mentally after a weight training session? Presumably it puts you in a good mood?
Have you noticed any difference in mood effect between weights and other forms of exercise?
I defo feel good after training and my general mood if training is going well is definitely better I don't do anything els in the gym so I can't compare to other forms of exercise but I would think that it's much the same the release of endorphins is what makes u feel good from the exercise

Quite agree. I'm taking my time on warm ups at the moment as the motions aren't second nature again yet. Bench goes something like: 10@20, 8@40, 8@60, 5@80 and then whatever the working sets are. Did an easy 1@100kg the other day, but reckon I've got 105-110kg in there are the moment. I'm on a fairly standard grip now though (used to be narrow grip as better carry over to log press) as I figure that I go enough tricep work elsewhere. Also, with my 7ft wingspan, middle finger on the rings is still pretty narrow. 

Squats require serious warm ups at the moment to get past the DOMS from the previous session. So 8@bodyweight, 8@20kg, 8@40kg, 5@60kg, 5@80kg and so on. 

I never bothered with a pause on the bench (beyond sometimes pausing the final rep on a set) as I never trained for powerlifting specifically, but I don't bounce. Touch and go. I'm very strong off my chest and weak on lockout.
To improve lockout it's tricep strength that you need to concentrate on my training partner was exactly the same he stopped wide grip benching and only did close grip for 3 months went back to wide grip and his lock out issues were solved am pleased to hear you do working sets so many people just get up to there max every session and try it then stop if you don't train at say 90% of you max for working sets strength will never be improved

J I’ve been to An Ostiopath monthly for 22 years, always just abuse and graft.
My new physio blames Stress in around my shoulders.
Doctor reckons it’s Scariiilittis, inflammation in that joint hence sore after rest, better after movement.
Once my X Ray gets back Doctor should have a better idea of what’s going on.

• Like 1

J I’ve been to An Ostiopath monthly for 22 years, always just abuse and graft.
My new physio blames Stress in around my shoulders.
Doctor reckons it’s Scariiilittis, inflammation in that joint hence sore after rest, better after movement.
Once my X Ray gets back Doctor should have a better idea of what’s going on.
I hope you can get some thing sorted and get on a road to something like a pain free existence I just pulled my back today not felt pain like it in a few years am due to fly to Germany tomor for a week contract climbing the timing couldn't be worse [emoji17]

7 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

I hope you can get some thing sorted and get on a road to something like a pain free existence I just pulled my back today not felt pain like it in a few years am due to fly to Germany tomor for a week contract climbing the timing couldn't be worse emoji17.png

Therein lies the rub, bad news and expensive.

6 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Not sure why Big J but a lot of the photo bucket pictures say you need to upgrade your subscription... ?

That's odd. I've had that 'bucket' for years and years and it says I'm only about 16% full in terms of usage. 

I was always a bit weak on bench lock out, even with focused tricep work. Massive wingspan to blame I guess. Before I started doing narrow grip I reached (what I considered was quite a high bench for 102kg bodyweight at my lofty height) 135kg on the bench, but didn't get past 140kg on narrows. My little brother is benching that now, so I obviously have to beat that!

Stephen, glad that you are getting somewhere with the doctors. I know first hand what constant pain does to you. Drags every aspect of your existence down, like a grey camera filter on your life. And you can't ever be accused of being inactive, so I hope you can get it sorted :D

• Like 1

I hope you can get some thing sorted and get on a road to something like a pain free existence I just pulled my back today not felt pain like it in a few years am due to fly to Germany tomor for a week contract climbing the timing couldn't be worse [emoji17]

Thanks and I hope you heal quick!