Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

23 minutes ago, Big J said:

Looking good Silky! Age is no excuse for not including a bit of supplementary exercise. I just wish I hadn't lost the last 9 years to chronic pain and had gone back to the gym years ago. 

I've completely disabled my legs today. I'm 4 sessions (4 sessions in 6 days, with 48hrs between each session) back into squatting and loving it. Did 10 doubles with 80kg (low weight, I know) for speed and then a set of 20 with 60kg. Within 15 seconds of completing the set my right quad cramped quite badly and I was unable to do any more leg work. I hobbled around the rest of my routine, and not even getting out of the chair is quite a challenge. The worst DOMS I've ever had (and I used to train hard, so have suffered in the past)!

So, do 20 rep squats folks! Supposedly unparalleled for leg development, and the high volume squatting is really hitting my core too. 

Daft this is that out of about 100 other people I've seen lifting in the gym this last week, I've only seen 2 other people squatting. Why does the average lifting neglect their legs?

20 rep squats will give unparalelled leg developement but theres a catch...

Most people doing squats will never reach the intensity that is a must for leg/glute hypertrophy.

The reason for this is most dont use a heavy enough weight,im not sayin go heavy as you can but ideally you would be aiming to hit failure at 12 reps, then 

stand with the weight for 20 seconds,and pump out as many reps as you can,say 3 reps,rest again for 20 seconds,pump out as many reps as you can and repeat till the you hit the magic 20.

The last 2 sets of usually 1 or 2 reps are utterly brutal.20 rep squats took my leg developement into a new level but id recommend not to prolong this type of training as it really drains the central nervous system and hits the connective tissues hard.

A couple of sessions in a week for 2 weeks are enough to see your legs grow and your weights shoot up.

This type of training combines volume with intensity which is enough to see the legs respond with a growth spurt...

Backed up with good rest and nutrition its a winner...

Oh and enjoy trying to get on and off the toilet the day after a 20 rep squat routine...:D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

20 rep squats will give unparalelled leg developement but theres a catch...

Most people doing squats will never reach the intensity that is a must for leg/glute hypertrophy.

The reason for this is most dont use a heavy enough weight,im not sayin go heavy as you can but ideally you would be aiming to hit failure at 12 reps, then 

stand with the weight for 20 seconds,and pump out as many reps as you can,say 3 reps,rest again for 20 seconds,pump out as many reps as you can and repeat till the you hit the magic 20.

The last 2 sets of usually 1 or 2 reps are utterly brutal.20 rep squats took my leg developement into a new level but id recommend not to prolong this type of training as it really drains the central nervous system and hits the connective tissues hard.

A couple of sessions in a week for 2 weeks are enough to see your legs grow and your weights shoot up.

This type of training combines volume with intensity which is enough to see the legs respond with a growth spurt...

Backed up with good rest and nutrition its a winner...

Oh and enjoy trying to get on and off the toilet the day after a 20 rep squat routine...:D

20 reps for squats seems to have this fearsome reputation. Both admired and feared. Differing approaches from different folk, but I like the brutality of what you suggest. I think I'm a very long way off attempting that at present as I'm returning from injury and need to address core weakness. I used to squat 190kg, but was heavily reliant on a belt. No belt this time around and that's the way it will stay. 

My whole body is just so out of condition for free weights. 12 weeks in the health club pumping machines was enough to prime the system for getting under a barbell again, but my legs honestly feel like I've never squatted before (from a condition point of view). The form is still right there though. Like I never stopped lifting. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

I'm planning to do 10 weeks or so with the aforementioned routine, by which point I'm hoping my legs will have got the memo and 20 rep squatting can start in earnest :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big J said:

20 reps for squats seems to have this fearsome reputation. Both admired and feared. Differing approaches from different folk, but I like the brutality of what you suggest. I think I'm a very long way off attempting that at present as I'm returning from injury and need to address core weakness. I used to squat 190kg, but was heavily reliant on a belt. No belt this time around and that's the way it will stay. 

My whole body is just so out of condition for free weights. 12 weeks in the health club pumping machines was enough to prime the system for getting under a barbell again, but my legs honestly feel like I've never squatted before (from a condition point of view). The form is still right there though. Like I never stopped lifting. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

I'm planning to do 10 weeks or so with the aforementioned routine, by which point I'm hoping my legs will have got the memo and 20 rep squatting can start in earnest :D

Thats very wise of you big j.

Totally agree,theres no point going too hard too fast and putting your recouperation into reverse.

Squats are great for core work as it affects the stabilisers.

Have you tried front squats,very humbling excersise as it really highlights weaknesses in your core area.

I suggest you give em a try aswell once you've built yourself back up and feel ready for the challenge.

I love and hate leg days,if your not nervous before you get into the gym on a leg day then you aint training hard enough.

Keep pluggin away mate

36 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Thats very wise of you big j.

Totally agree,theres no point going too hard too fast and putting your recouperation into reverse.

Squats are great for core work as it affects the stabilisers.

Have you tried front squats,very humbling excersise as it really highlights weaknesses in your core area.

I suggest you give em a try aswell once you've built yourself back up and feel ready for the challenge.

I love and hate leg days,if your not nervous before you get into the gym on a leg day then you aint training hard enough.

Keep pluggin away mate

It's funny, but my main hate in the gym is ab work so I look at high volume squatting as a good way of avoiding doing specific ab work!

I have done front squats in the past, but haven't quite got enough mass on my delts yet for it to be comfortable. I've also got a bit of a funny clavicle where one side sticks up a touch more than the other, so it catches. I'll maybe try it again later on, but I'll just focus on back squats for now. Going to add some paused reps later on too. I'll see how many of the other gym users I can persuade to squat, though I'll maybe wait until my squat isn't so embarrassingly low!

DOMS are way better this morning and I managed an unassisted toilet squat. Should be OK to get under the bar again tomorrow! O.o

Hahaha, I know your temple has a fairly relaxed door policy mate!

I'm squatting again for the first time since my knee op. Body weight only, just looking for volume at the moment, doubt I'll ever go back to heavy back squats, not that I was ever much good at them. I had a few dodgy moments as a teenager training upstairs on my own without racks and getting into all kinds of bother!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Hahaha, I know your temple has a fairly relaxed door policy mate!

I'm squatting again for the first time since my knee op. Body weight only, just looking for volume at the moment, doubt I'll ever go back to heavy back squats, not that I was ever much good at them. I had a few dodgy moments as a teenager training upstairs on my own without racks and getting into all kinds of bother!

If my body was a temple, it would be one of those ruined jungle ones with monkeys running riot in the wreckage. xD

• Haha 1

Looking good Silky! Age is no excuse for not including a bit of supplementary exercise. I just wish I hadn't lost the last 9 years to chronic pain and had gone back to the gym years ago. 

I've completely disabled my legs today. I'm 4 sessions (4 sessions in 6 days, with 48hrs between each session) back into squatting and loving it. Did 10 doubles with 80kg (low weight, I know) for speed and then a set of 20 with 60kg. Within 15 seconds of completing the set my right quad cramped quite badly and I was unable to do any more leg work. I hobbled around the rest of my routine, and not even getting out of the chair is quite a challenge. The worst DOMS I've ever had (and I used to train hard, so have suffered in the past)!

So, do 20 rep squats folks! Supposedly unparalleled for leg development, and the high volume squatting is really hitting my core too. 

Daft this is that out of about 100 other people I've seen lifting in the gym this last week, I've only seen 2 other people squatting. Why does the average lifting neglect their legs?
Thanks big J. I have a dedicated leg day.Leg extension machine is my favourite.Start at 35.5 kg and add a plate every 12 reps down the stack to 90 then back up.Amazing results.Cycling like a maniac these days!
  • Like 1