Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I don't think it's as simple as some are cheap and some expensive, it's more that different setups are suited to different jobs. I often loose out on small takedowns and hedge work to transit and TW guys, but as soon as the DBH goes beyond about 18" we come out cheaper. And on site clearance work the transit guys are way off what we charge. I suspect that's just the way it is.

But it's not that we're more expensive on small jobs because we have bigger kit, it's because we don't work cheap. We weren't any cheaper when we had the transit and we aren't cheaper now. We charge the same for a job as we have been for years, we just get through it quicker. We want £650 for a day minimum for a squad, but there's guys out there offering the same for £350... yet in 15 years they haven't put us out of business...

Spot in tom, that where I'm at as well

This thread has been derailed from were it started so far think when is British rail going to delay it because of something.

Quite right Woody :001_smile:

Transit and chipper is fine if its complimented with a 4x4 and trailers. Add in a bit of mechanical handling like a mini loader and you are on your way. Next step has to be a truck followed by a bigger truck, keep away from Mogs unless you need one :thumbup1:

Bob

Eggs, our business isn't just basic tree work, we have 9 employees, two being myself and my wife. One is a full time consultant ( arb and ecology) two are area / team managers one is a floating extra, (he can work with whichever squad is busy, he is also now doing arb consultancy work) and the rest are climbers. So it's hard to calculate the profit from one squad as sometimes we are working as a 2 man team, sometimes 3 or 5. Some jobs use basic kit some use all the toys. I would say that we are making a good 20% on that 650 as an average. The most profitable work we do is site clearance, as it's usually just a 2 man job one on the valtra and heizohack and one on the saw, we aim for and usually break the £1k per day on that. We would be loosing money if we worked for £350 per day, even with a 2 man squad and basic kit, that's for sure. But some of our rivals charge that and seem to make it work, I'm not sure how...

Eggs, our business isn't just basic tree work, we have 9 employees, two being myself and my wife. One is a full time consultant ( arb and ecology) two are area / team managers one is a floating extra, (he can work with whichever squad is busy, he is also now doing arb consultancy work) and the rest are climbers. So it's hard to calculate the profit from one squad as sometimes we are working as a 2 man team, sometimes 3 or 5. Some jobs use basic kit some use all the toys. I would say that we are making a good 20% on that 650 as an average. The most profitable work we do is site clearance, as it's usually just a 2 man job one on the valtra and heizohack and one on the saw, we aim for and usually break the £1k per day on that. We would be loosing money if we worked for £350 per day, even with a 2 man squad and basic kit, that's for sure. But some of our rivals charge that and seem to make it work, I'm not sure how...

I think often they pay themselves and their staff very, very poorly.

"Devaluing the industry" snork!

Anyone cheaper than me is devaluing he industry, anyone more expensive is a rip off merchant giving us all a bad name.

There was a greenmech mounted on the back of a transit or similar for sale a couple of years back. Totally pointless

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

This thread has been derailed from were it started so far think when is British rail going to delay it because of something.

To capitalise on the de-rail theme whilst it's still warm:

"Snork" nominated as the funniest word of the thread thus far!

"Landrover swing shovel" nominated as most pointless combo of the thread thus far (and also a candidate (against notable opposition) for least relevant to the OP question!) (apols pic quality, lifted straight out of LRO mag)

😂

[ATTACH]222667[/ATTACH]

To capitalise on the de-rail theme whilst it's still warm:

"Snork" nominated as the funniest word of the thread thus far!

"Landrover swing shovel" nominated as most pointless combo of the thread thus far (and also a candidate (against notable opposition) for least relevant to the OP question!) (apols pic quality, lifted straight out of LRO mag)

😂

[ATTACH]222667[/ATTACH]

Will have to hide that from my boss as he would be all over that, just like a fracked jcb backhoe loaded which is another pointless niche bit of kit.

So what alternatives are there for hi cap chip trucks? Something that can carry 6ton? And tow 10ton.

As much as I hate Unimogs they seem to work for us but I spend a lot of time trying to keep them running. Constantly looking for viable alternatives.