Best legal vehicle combination

Twigz

I'd just form a nice "brash nest" with the first dozen or so branches I remove, this would then collect all the bigger stuff, it also protects the grass and fence :biggrin:

I guess I just could not face feed a small gravity fed chipper and would expect my lad to. A TW 150 would be about as small as I'd like to go.

Each to their own.

As for stringing jobs out to keep the customer happy and feeling they got VFM, I gave that up many, many years ago. I sell a finished product, i.e. a removed tree/reduced tree/trimmed hedge, etc. How long it takes is immaterial. If ever questioned about the time a job has taken and the cost. I enquire as to which part of they job they feel has not be delivered? I point out I give quotes, not estimates, so everyone knows where they stand and the only one taking a risk is me.

Totally agree, the other thing I have said when customers question the 'speed' of the work is 'Would you pay me more if the job takes longer than you think it should have'?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Tom gets pulled by vosa on his way back from a domestic job has his tank dipped, gets his tractor impounded and then gets screwed by HMRC for back tax on the red diesel they decide he's used over the years as he was doing non agricultural work and should have been on white.

That would be nasty, but we don't usually haul with the tractor, it's just a crane and chipping unit, we chip to waste and drive home again.

Here's a scenario for you.

Your on your way back from a job in your 16 plate transit, it's 3/4 full and weighs 4.6 tons, you're towing a 750kg timberwolf. Whilst going down a country road an old lady pulls out in front of you, she simply doesnt look, (we've all seen this happen on occasion). So you brake but you still hit her at 30-40mph, she suffers head injuries and is taken to hospital. Because her injuries are life threatening the police do a full inspection of the crash scene and your vehicle and its load are taken away for testing. The cops look at your dash cam footage and accept that you weren't at fault.

That night the old lady dies. The cops weigh your van and chipper and decide that even though you were not the cause of the accident your excessive weight had an impact on the severity of the accident by increasing your stopping distance, you are charged with causing death by dangerous driving. (Yes that is what you would be charged with!) The cops tell you that the maximum sentence is 14 years, minimum 1 year. Your insurance company refuses to payout and the old lady's family sue you for everything that you have.

:thumbup:

That would be nasty, but we don't usually haul with the tractor, it's just a crane and chipping unit, we chip to waste and drive home again.

Your on your way back from a job in your 16 plate transit, it's 3/4 full and weighs 4.6 tons, you're towing a 750kg timberwolf. Whilst going down a country road an old lady pulls out in front of you, she simply doesnt look, (we've all seen this happen on occasion). So you brake but you still hit her at 30-40mph, she suffers head injuries and is taken to hospital. Because her injuries are life threatening the police do a full inspection of the crash scene and your vehicle and its load are taken away for testing. The cops look at your dash cam footage and accept that you weren't at fault.

That night the old lady dies. The cops weigh your van and chipper and decide that even though you were not the cause of the accident your excessive weight had an impact on the severity of the accident by increasing your stopping distance, you are charged with causing death by dangerous driving. (Yes that is what you would be charged with!) The cops tell you that the maximum sentence is 14 years, minimum 1 year. Your insurance company refuses to payout and the old lady's family sue you for everything that you have.

It is a hellish, but entirely possible, scenario!

And it applies to a good few towing situations, obviously including Arb but the builders with mini digs and the Ag contractors with too much speed and weight are an almost daily occurrence hereabouts.

Truly terrifying driving by some.

And the answer is.....................................................................Forget mogs , transits, tractors and 4x4`s with trailers, get a truck instead.

I`m off :lol:

Bob

This is true- but it can work out just as badly for a tractor on the same scenario you describe. I believe you need to hold records of maintenance done or proof that you have kept it in a roadworthy condition. I bet most don't and run more on the basis of when it breaks it gets fixed.

Tractors are also not cheep torunning on the road, you can easily lose £3-4K plus on a set of tyres, and even if running on red you'd be lucky to be doing better than 8mpg (MOgs may differ?)

£3k to change a wet clutch etc etc.

Basically in answer to the OP there is no ideal setup, just work with what you have until you get a better idea of what your work requires then go from there because everyone probably thinks their setup is the best!