Wedding or stump grinding ?

Stefan Palokangas

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why post it on here and ask for people's opinions, when you say your right anyway??

You've let your other half down simple.

I assume you have known about this occasion for a while and it was not just sprung on you, so was it not wrong of you to have booked work on that day anyway. I'm sure the client would of waited.

I don't see what the problem is here. Why does a woman think she is so hard done by when she can go out and party on her own while we go out and work.

I would be over the moon if I got to go to a wedding on my own and my mrs had to go out stump grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If this is serious and not intended as a joke, why do you stay married??:001_huh:

I get the feeling that this is a subconscious cry for help Stefan. Workaholism is as damaging as any other olism, the problem is instead of draining wealth it generates it, is scocietally approved of, and doesn't necessarily ruin your health. But its still a symptom of something amiss at a deep level.

That feeling of success, of the triumph of pulling off yet another job, the endorphin kick of pocketing the cheque, and the self congradualting that ensues can, in the end, become a shallow parody of true fulfilment.

There may be people who are constitutionally built to work long hours, and really don't need a family life (not kids necessarily, but just some kind of companionship), I don't think you are one of them. The very fact that you asked for reinforcement of your self imposed non-stop work ethic makes me think that you are not happy. In other words, it feels like theres a bit of denial going on.

Some people flee from deep seated unconscious self-esteem issues by compulsively working. As long as they are busy and productive the feel ok about themselves - their self worth is dependant on their productivity.

This is particularly the case culturally in northern and middle Europe - the so called protestant work ethic. I have known many germans, in particular (my own grandfather included) who feel "guilty" if they don't rise before seven. This quirk of mass psychology helped the west become a powerhouse of industry, and is now helping the eastern nations do the same. But at an individual level it can be damaging.

What Im trying to say is, this is not about your fiancé, or the wedding, its about your own soul and journey through life. We all have our cross to bare, psychologically speaking - we all have issues and most of the time our issues remain unresolved - and probably unresolvable. But its key that we acknowledge that we HAVE issues, that we are aware of them.