Wedding or stump grinding ?

Stefan Palokangas

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it both battery connections to disconnect when welding?? Searched it but it's a big debate about it, I always thought you disconnect the +

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Certainly safest to disconnect the earth ( -ve) terminal. If you can unplug any electronics easily then even safer as there might be some voltage induced across their ground connection and outputs/ sensors etc.

Being a welder I'm sure you know to keep the welder earth as close as possible to your work. This also helps of course.

Edited by cornish wood burner

Certainly safest to disconnect the earth ( -ve) terminal. If you can unplug any electronics easily then even safer as there might be some voltage induced across their ground connection and outputs/ sensors etc.

I took away both - and + I can honestly say I get paranoid every time I weld on the van or the stump grinder, still an hour away before I weld on the cut off parts... Is there a reason I should leave one cable connected to the battery ? Or should I take one or both away ??

Being a welder I'm sure you know to keep the welder earth as close as possible to your work. This also helps of course.

Thank you, yes I'm a welder, but today it's cnc welding I'm doing... Not often near any vehicles. It's pipes I'm welding and no electronic on them. [emoji3][emoji3]

Anyway this thread was hysterical to say the least [emoji23][emoji23]. It was pure joy !! Fiancé still loves me and lives slowly goes on, I enjoyed to read all your comments, Thanks for your brutal honesty [emoji6]. This is the very reason I like Arbtalk, you get the truth right in your face here

I took away both - and + I can honestly say I get paranoid every time I weld on the van or the stump grinder, still an hour away before I weld on the cut off parts... Is there a reason I should leave one cable connected to the battery ? Or should I take one or both away ??

Disconnect one or both I can't see any difference. However assuming a piece of electronics has its own ground then that theoretically could cause you grief.

Might be a risk of damage unplugging anyway so either way it's a chance you take.

Welding earth as near to the weld as possible is the best advice I can give you.

Disconnect one or both I can't see any difference. However assuming a piece of electronics has its own ground then that theoretically could cause you grief.

Might be a risk of damage unplugging anyway so either way it's a chance you take.

Welding earth as near to the weld as possible is the best advice I can give you.

Thank you