Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

6 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

In Russian schools the students drill for active shooter scenarios. They are trained to rush the attacker/s as a mob and take them down, instead of hiding under their desks like rabbits. This is actually the most effective course of action, if they can pull it off, and it instills a sense of positive self-protection in the kids. The mindset of "We are not victims, you mess with us, we will have you!" should benefit society as a whole, where kids have a certain level of situational awareness and look out for each other. Armed teachers is a first step in this direction, I applaud it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164634

If a trained armed deputy did not confront the shooter for any reason how do you expect a geography teacher to suddenly become John McClane?

Have you got a link to the “schoolchildren rushing an armed attacker” story?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Roughly 24% of the Swiss population own guns, yet guns are rarely used in homicides. 

I dont even even know what to make of that.

Perhaps a bit of lateral thinking might find an answer in the climate.

The hotter the place, Middle East, North Africa, Florida, South America, the easier it is to become very angry.

Perhaps the Swiss Alps are much cooler.

Don't hear of many gun massacres in the Eskimo community!

Against my theory are people like Anders Breivik who are just nutcases and even  the difficulties he had in obtaining weapons did not stop his actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

I can't see giving teachers guns being a positive step. I doubt it will put the crazy bastards off from the start and I can't see it being very effective if there is a hit on the school. It might prevent a couple of deaths but I bet the massive amount of extra guns in every school will cause more. 

When you look at the options I don't think there are any, well not without a massive culture change anyway.

40 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

It might prevent a couple of deaths but I bet the massive amount of extra guns in every school will cause more. 

I caught a bit of a radio program yesterday about the states that don't exclude concealed carry by staff. I don't think that it causes more problems, but then again it didn't go into if it prevented or reduced school shootings.

It's a tough one, on one hand I think it's a good idea but on the other hand it could cause more problems. I'm undecided and just playing devils advocate.

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164634

If a trained armed deputy did not confront the shooter for any reason how do you expect a geography teacher to suddenly become John McClane?

There's little evidence available as to why he didn't act. My thoughts are that in a situation, some people will act, some people who are trained will act because of the training, and some, despite training, will freeze or not do what training has taught them. Training to go into harms way has to overcome some deep ingrained instincts of self preservation, good training should weed out those whose instincts can't/won't be overcome. Maybe in this case it didn't.

I don't think that because a trained armed deputy failed to act, for whatever reason, the whole idea should be disregarded. 

I don't know the details, but didn't an unarmed team coach do a John McClane, running towards the attacker?

Trump: ‘Gun-adept teachers/coaches would solve the problem instantly

That sentence sums up Trump and the NRA's reasoning for wanting to arm teachers.

By saying that armed teachers would 100% solve the problem means that if a child is killed in a school where teachers are armed then the blame/media focus can then go on the teachers and not the gun laws/lobby.

• Like 1