Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Bloody Romanians, coming over here taking our schools!  ?

In chemistry, we were shown any number of 'exothermic ' reactions which these days would be construed as 'weapons ingredients ' but was Romania Catholic school....so that's OK then..;) K

( Bloody Chinese making me use Auto complete - Kev ! )

In other news....
By 2019 all firefighters will carry jerrycans of accelerant. It is hoped that fighting fire with fire will lessen the damage caused from the original fire. Sadly, simply putting the fire out has proved to be too logical and cost effective

19 minutes ago, Mark J said:

In other news....
By 2019 all firefighters will carry jerrycans of accelerant. It is hoped that fighting fire with fire will lessen the damage caused from the original fire. Sadly, simply putting the fire out has proved to be too logical and cost effective

In fighting forest, brush or desperate big urban fires they do, its called back burning and its a crucial tool

But to do the same in a school shooting I guess it would mean shooting all the kids so the shooter had no more targets, probably not the best way, so probably what a government would implement.

I lived in the US, there is no easy fix to this problem

Edited by Timbermcpherson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Khriss said:

In chemistry, we were shown any number of 'exothermic ' reactions which these days would be construed as 'weapons ingredients ' but was Romania Catholic school....so that's OK then..;) K

( Bloody Chinese making me use Auto complete - Kev ! )

:lol::lol: Bloody Chinese - coming over here taking over our language...  :lol::lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucan said:

That sentence sums up Trump and the NRA's reasoning for wanting to arm teachers.

Maybe they want to arm teachers simply to neutralise the threat? 

I don't know the answer, but I'm certain the the good old boys of the USA won't be handing in the firearms anytime soon. So how do you protect against these rampages and reduce the number of deaths and casualties?

Longer term you 'could' turn the schools into fortresses with metal detectors and security behind bullet proof glass to prevent ingress. I think some of the city schools use metal detectors even now, but it's got to be accepted by the public, built and paid for. 

Anyway, Trump has declared that he will not sleep until this is all sorted out, so maybe there's nothing to concern ourselves with anyway :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

There's little evidence available as to why he didn't act. My thoughts are that in a situation, some people will act, some people who are trained will act because of the training, and some, despite training, will freeze or not do what training has taught them. Training to go into harms way has to overcome some deep ingrained instincts of self preservation, good training should weed out those whose instincts can't/won't be overcome. Maybe in this case it didn't.

I don't think that because a trained armed deputy failed to act, for whatever reason, the whole idea should be disregarded. 

I don't know the details, but didn't an unarmed team coach do a John McClane, running towards the attacker?

Trump is being a total idiot on this one.  Aside from the exceptionally dubious suggestion of arming teachers, what has really riled me is that he sees fit to call the security guard a coward.  What was his personal weapon?  Hand gun??  In what scenario is it appropriate for someone armed with a hand gun to confront someone armed with an assault rifle?  In what scenario would arming teachers with hand guns be any better than arming security guards with hand guns?  

OK there is the argument that it was his 'job' to protect & serve (to coin a phrase), but let's be honest, you're not getting (or paying for) a top flight security operative if they are deployed on school campus duties - maybe therein lies the problem.  To expect a low grade (my assumption) security guard with inadequate training and equipment to engage a superior force is a akin to turning up for a climbing and dismantle job with baler twine and BT blue....  I mean seriously, would anyone expect a low paid, low calibre security guard that probably spends the majority of his time eating donuts and chatting to kids to suddenly morph into a fearless hero willing to sacrifice his life for the benefit of the little snots that had probably spent years mocking him?

A bit off topic, just grated on me when I heard Trump call him a coward.  Walk in his shoes first you mop headed orange tit!

I like the mob-rush approach described previously.  Some will fall, but the perp is guaranteed to be slain - better to die doing something than to die hiding, look to nature for the answer....

• Like 3

Agree on the coward part of your post, most people don't know what they'd do in those circumstances ( some might 'say' what they'd do, but that's a different matter) 

The real heroes in these situations are those who go forward, unarmed, because to them it seems the right thing to do, without thought to their own safety.

I think a lot of teachers would naturally try to look after their students, almost as looking after their family due to the personal relationships. 

• Like 1

If they need armed security at schools, it shouldn't be teachers doing it.  It might be cost effective but I hate the idea of combining these roles.  If you need a guy with a gun to protect your students, hire a security guard.  Even if the teacher comes from a military background, their job now is to teach, and the students need to know that.