Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Pretty much everything seems to come now with built in obsolescence or is 'uneconomic to repair. One of the bike mags costed the parts for a 600cc bike - £30,000. You could buy one new for eight.

It's all the same thing, designed to make you buy a new one, whether it's white goods, vehicles, computers or phones. We're now a throwaway world.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Pretty much everything seems to come now with built in obsolescence or is 'uneconomic to repair. One of the bike mags costed the parts for a 600cc bike - £30,000. You could buy one new for eight.

It's all the same thing, designed to make you buy a new one, whether it's white goods, vehicles, computers or phones. We're now a throwaway world.

Bring back the grease nipple !  Look silly on an I phone I suppose .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Stuff like cars had built in obsolescence in the 70s, they just fell to pieces cos they were shit.

These days TVs, cars, bikes, white goods and everything else is better, lasts longer and is considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

Might be useful for London-ish dwellers:

CASTING CALL: Looking for 20 rugby players of all different positions/types
Casting Date: 5th - 8th January (5 min slots)
Casting Location: London (TBC)
Shoot Date: Tuesday 16th January/Wednesday 17th January (TBC)
Shoot Location: London (TBC)
Pay: £2,000 (- 20% commission)
Email: [email protected] with photos, name, age, phone number, and confirmation of availability on shoot dates ASAP.

D2E9B0BA-EC50-40D7-9762-D89EF7871925.jpeg

On 29/12/2017 at 18:45, Stubby said:

A 1973 Lancia Betta lasted about 6 months !

Surprised it was that long!  I think the Alfasud beat it by a month or two.  My first car was a Mini.  Eight years old with a rotted through floor and subframe.  Quality!

On 12/29/2017 at 17:55, Gary Prentice said:

well we can blame Henry Ford for that...

He had a group of experts go over his cars to see which part lasted longest..  turned out the back axle lasted longest by a good margin..

He told his designers to lower the quality as fast as they could...

I'm sure it made sense to him, I'd of increased the quality of the failing parts but I'm never going to be a millionaire am I...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Surprised it was that long!  I think the Alfasud beat it by a month or two.  My first car was a Mini.  Eight years old with a rotted through floor and subframe.  Quality!

They used to sell Mini sub frames at the same rate they sell fresh veg ! :)