Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

On 17/12/2017 at 16:53, the village idiot said:

Closing the borders will not stop terrorism. It may shift some of the deaths to another country, but then you have to start asking yourself soul searching questions like ' Why exactly does it matter so much more to me when British people are killed as opposed to equally innocent people living in another country'?

This is a difficult and controversial question, but one that is interesting to ponder.

For me, this is easy to answer - it matters so much more when British people are killed because of genetics and probability - some here will have lost daughters and nieces at the Manchester concert for example, probably hardly any UK citizens lose close relatives when a bomb goes off in Moscow or Libya.

The slims are not the best thing to arrive. I'm glad to have been born in a secular age, but you can't educate pork

• Like 2

Copied from elsewhere but I agree with the sentiment,  it would be good if they had a lottery everytime the queen wanted something new though.  That way, people could choose whether they supported the royal family or not and all taxes raised would go back to the government:

"You couldn't make it up. Fifty elected Tory representatives want you to buy scratch cards to buy a yacht for a woman (officially) worth about half a billion quid.

Tory logic...

Not in dire need and worthy of extra funding:

NHS.
Social care.
Schools.
Emergency services.
Prison services.
Grenfell survivors.
128,000 homeless children.
The million plus families driven to foodbanks.
The disabled.
The vulnerable.
Families having to choose between heating and eating.
The 4,134 people who are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night.

In dire need and worthy of extra funding:

The Queen"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/27/britannia-win-lottery-fifty-tory-mps-back-new-lotto-game-let/amp/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Mark J

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Copied from elsewhere but I agree with the sentiment,  it would be good if they had a lottery everytime the queen wanted something new though.  That way, people could choose whether they supported the royal family or not and all taxes raised would go back to the government:

"You couldn't make it up. Fifty elected Tory representatives want you to buy scratch cards to buy a yacht for a woman (officially) worth about half a billion quid.

Tory logic...

Not in dire need and worthy of extra funding:

NHS.
Social care.
Schools.
Emergency services.
Prison services.
Grenfell survivors.
128,000 homeless children.
The million plus families driven to foodbanks.
The disabled.
The vulnerable.
Families having to choose between heating and eating.
The 4,134 people who are estimated to be sleeping rough on any one night.

In dire need and worthy of extra funding:

The Queen"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/27/britannia-win-lottery-fifty-tory-mps-back-new-lotto-game-let/amp/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, if only Labour were in power they'd have planted some "magic money trees" to provide all the money that public services required 9_9

I'd rather we bought the Queen a new boat than give yet more money to the feckless and workshy. There's people that have never held down a job in their life yet they still manage to afford Sky telly and go abroad on holiday. 

21 minutes ago, matelot said:

Yeah, if only Labour were in power they'd have planted some "magic money trees" to provide all the money that public services required 9_9

I'd rather we bought the Queen a new boat than give yet more money to the feckless and workshy. There's people that have never held down a job in their life yet they still manage to afford Sky telly and go abroad on holiday. 

What do you think about the idea of a lottery to pay for the queen's upkeep?

4 minutes ago, Mark J said:

The royal family costs 62 pence per person, you really think 62 pence is worth discussing? We should buy the Queen a new yacht so that we can sail it abroad and do some trade deals....

We should have a lottery to pay for the upkeep of the workshy. That way people like you can put their money where their mouths are.....

I bet the average Tory voter pays more tax than the average Labour voter.... Maybe a little bit of gratitude towards Tory voters is called for? Tory bashing from left wingers like you is getting boring.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, matelot said:

The royal family costs 62 pence per person, you really think 62 pence is worth discussing? We should buy the Queen a new yacht so that we can sail it abroad and do some trade deals....

We should have a lottery to pay for the upkeep of the workshy. That way people like you can put their money where their mouths are.....

I bet the average Tory voter pays more tax than the average Labour voter.... Maybe a little bit of gratitude towards Tory voters is called for? Tory bashing from left wingers like you is getting boring.

I didn't think people were workshy.  I thought it was immigrunts taking are jobs. Or something.

Edited by Mark J
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, matelot said:

The Republicans have just passed a tax bill that will add one and a half trillion dollars to their national debt over the next ten years..

Sort of undermines the Rights argument that borrowing will bankrupt Britain.. or that Corbyn is a loon...

My own pet peeve is subsidized housing Matelot..  If it was possible I have every private landlord flogged tarred an feathered...  if they want any money they must do as I do.. get a f*in job...

1 hour ago, Vespasian said:

The Republicans have just passed a tax bill that will add one and a half trillion dollars to their national debt over the next ten years..

Sort of undermines the Rights argument that borrowing will bankrupt Britain.. or that Corbyn is a loon...

My own pet peeve is subsidized housing Matelot..  If it was possible I have every private landlord flogged tarred an feathered...  if they want any money they must do as I do.. get a f*in job...

Shave off!  They we are, in agreement again!  :lol::lol:  Not quite so sure about the tar & feather thing, but throwing public money at private landlords for social tenants is complete madness / corruption.

At least you’d get the choice whether to participate or not.
Personally I think the National Lottery is a vile contraption in every aspect.
But that’s just me......
  • Like 2