Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I think the army is capable of doing some solid work, but I dont agree with alot of the stuff they do do.

Obviously historically there has been a huge need for war but i dont see a time when that kind of warfare is necessary, i also don't think its right to be swanning round the globe and getting involved in every little problem there is at the will of some protected politician, I also think that people recruited by the forces now cant be under too much illusion about the kind of tour there likely to get sent on, and to be fair there unlikely to be killed in a fight that i find justifiable.

Having said that i woukd keep the forces for defence and as a deterrent.i just wouldnt send them off to blow up poor people with out justification.

So it's ok to keep our armed forces as a deterrent but not trident? Confused.

Shall we have an armed forces without weapons tanks aircraft and boats?

Surely we need our armed forces to be capable to defend any situation including nuclear you know just in case not to folly around with but as a deterrent to defend.

Maybe just maybe nuclear hasn't been used in anger by anyone as we and NATO have access to nuclear deterrents such as trident?! Maybe by definition having said deterrents work especially when the stakes are high.

So it's ok to keep our armed forces as a deterrent but not trident? Confused.

Shall we have an armed forces without weapons tanks aircraft and boats?

Surely we need our armed forces to be capable to defend any situation including nuclear you know just in case not to folly around with but as a deterrent to defend.

Maybe just maybe nuclear hasn't been used in anger by anyone as we and NATO have access to nuclear deterrents such as trident?! Maybe by definition having said deterrents work especially when the stakes are high.

You cant compare an army as a deterrent with a nuclear weapon,its a completly different scale of deterrent.

Armies dont kills millions indiscriminatly with 1 push of a button.

I think in the light of recent events it proves-to me anyway-we have little need for a nuclear deterrent to stop the threats we currently face.

If we could put even a quarter of the money from renewing trident into our armed forces and police where its needed i think we would be on the right path to dealing with these terrorists

Good move, nice to have it back.

I'll tell you what's always puzzled me. The willingness of celebs these days to throw their weight behind a political party.

I'm a big fan of Danny Baker, love his radio show, follow him on twitter blah blah..

so he's doing a vote Labour thing on twitter ATM and I think to myself "do you really think I'm going to alter (or not) my vote because some mildly amusing fellow on the wireless tells me to?

If anything (see Russell Brand) it has the opposite effect.

You cant compare an army as a deterrent with a nuclear weapon,its a completly different scale of deterrent.

Armies dont kills millions indiscriminatly with 1 push of a button.

I think in the light of recent events it proves-to me anyway-we have little need for a nuclear deterrent to stop the threats we currently face.

If we could put even a quarter of the money from renewing trident into our armed forces and police where its needed i think we would be on the right path to dealing with these terrorists

realistically though if we stop renewing trident, we could use the money to better tackle the terrorism issue, but we would just open ourselves up to different threats, and frankly I would take terrorism over nuclear war any day.