Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

No . You are wrong IMHO. Saying its positive discrimination is worse . There is no such thing as positive discrimination.  Its discrimination because he is white . Its works both ways .

Your opinion on this instance doesn't matter though. Why would your opinion on the definition of something change the definition of said thing?

Look up the legal terms of discrimination and then the legal terms of positive discrimination.

I'm not having a go at you mate but opinions don't trump facts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Your opinion on this instance doesn't matter though. Why would your opinion on the definition of something change the definition of said thing?

Look up the legal terms of discrimination and then the legal terms of positive discrimination.

I'm not having a go at you mate but opinions don't trump facts.

But why positive ? That  assumes  its ok to discriminate  against a white person but not against a black person . I thought discrimination was treating people differently .  I admit I don't get it and its my opinion . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has its place.

Should Oxbridge select it’s students purely on exam results, in which case public school kids would take the huge majority of places based on the parents ability to pay for private education?

Or should the children, equally as gifted, but who went to state schools, be denied top university places because of understandably less impressive numbers?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Absolutely.

Elitism has it’s place as well.

If you’re bright enough and work hard Oxbridge is achievable with a state school education.

Conversely I know plenty of people who had a very expensive education whose basic maths and English is shocking.

They do ok though.

They were born rich.

• Like 3

Just possibly he's an entitled, average chap that can't come to terms with not getting the career he wanted.

Let's face it, if he was as highly suitable as he believes he was personally, another one of the 80% of successful applicants that were white males would have been 'discriminated' against in favour of him.

Also, he says that having no demonstrable leadership ability shouldn't matter because he'd get leadership training for the role. I'm not convinced, I think it entirely appropriate to select people for a leadership position with previous experience or a natural aptitude for it before training.

From the article...

An RAF spokesman said: “At no point did the RAF recruitment process select ethnic minority and female pilots over better qualified white male pilots. Over 80 per cent of our recruits during the period in question were white men.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It has its place.

Should Oxbridge select it’s students purely on exam results, in which case public school kids would take the huge majority of places based on the parents ability to pay for private education?

Or should the children, equally as gifted, but who went to state schools, be denied top university places because of understandably less impressive numbers?

That doesn't make any sense though. If the state school kids were equally gifted then Shirley they will have achieved the same exam results?

Or am I missing something?

• Like 2

Some state schools have shite teachers mate.

It’s not all about your natural intelligence.

I was lucky, my state school had good ones.

Some private schools clearly have poor teachers as well.

A few of my posho mates were undiagnosed dyslexics pretty much until they left.

A posho mate down here is currently spending £80k/year on posho education for his kids.

He can well afford it, and they’re nice kids, coming along grand.

Very polite, maybe a bit precocious, but in a nice way?

It’s all about the connections, apparently.

I just think if you’ve got that kind of dollar your kids aren’t exactly going to fail in life, are they?

FWIW I very much doubt the RAF discriminate in any way on pilots jobs.

Best man (or woman) for the job, simple.

Ridiculous combination of brains, reflexes, vision, hand-eye coordination, mental strength, physical ability to withstand G’s, language skills etc.

They will just take the best.

They have to.

I applied and failed because my knob was too big to fit in the cockpit of a Eurofighter.

THAT’S positive discrimination Stubby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3