Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

One minute we're hearing that the NHS is falling to bits and nurses need food banks to survive. We also hear the NHS has too many managers. Then the next minute we're hearing that the NHS is a national treasure that needs protecting at all cost?

Maybe it's time for a national debate regarding the NHS?

We trust a lot of private companies to provide essential services. For instance food/ housing/ air travel etc are all provided by private companies. I don't see why healthcare has to be provided by a state behemoth...

'sigh' No, I don't suppose you would -

So where are Labour going to get all this money to put into public services? The tooth fairy? Down the back of the sofa? Send a letter to Santa?

Many of us here realise that sometimes life involves tough choices. If you think Saint Jeremy can prop up all public services, without consequences, you are deluded.

but you're apparently quite happy for taxes to be raised in order to pay sweeteners to private companies to take possession of assets that we already own? You do realise Naylor's plan to save our NHS is for the NHS to be forced to sell all of it's land and buildings - i.e OUR land and buildings - to private enterprise. He thinks the government should invest large sums of money to make these deals more attractive to private buyers and any NHS Trust that chooses not to sell it's assets in a 2 for 1 deal to private investors should be starved of government investment until they change their minds - do you really think this is acceptable? I guess you do, as it's the same philosophy the Tories have used in disposing of all the public assets we used to own - water, gas, electricity, railways etc,etc..by flogging it all off to not even the highest bidder.

The clue is in the name. National Health Service.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

Sometimes industries just get set in their ways...

Ryanair and Easyjet have brought air travel to the masses. If it wasn't for them air travel would still be outside the reach of normal people.

Maybe, just maybe, privatising the NHS would make healthcare better? In industries like food retail Tesco and Sainsbury's compete to bring the best prices and service to customers. If they offer poor service they will go out of business.... While the ethos of a lot of the NHS is "you get what you're given". One of my dad's mates was expected to wait three weeks for a GP's appointment. IMHO privatisation could improve the service the NHS provides...

One of the scenarios labour are looking at for situations where LVT is less than council tax is to tax said properties on that years house value. Labour are using LVT to pay for their outlandish policies to think we will be better off for the change is being naive.

It was labour who raised fuel duty to record highs to again hit the masses of normal people.

Some of the Labour policies are pretty interesting, this LVT thingy sounds good.

If, rates are paid on the value of your property, it'll have an effect on the housing market..

Those who own their houses will have a good reason to talk values down, thus reducing the cost of housing over time..

Thats a winning idea if your asking me..

As much as we all like to complain about fuel duty, at least its a fair tax, those who drive can always reduce their tax by driving less, or not at all..

I used to love a drive out to Wales, don't bother no more as I don't like the cost of the drive out.. maybe I should get an electric car?...

but you're apparently quite happy for taxes to be raised in order to pay sweeteners to private companies to take possession of assets that we already own? You do realise Naylor's plan to save our NHS is for the NHS to be forced to sell all of it's land and buildings - i.e OUR land and buildings - to private enterprise.

tbh, you seem more concerned about someone making a profit than the quality of service the NHS provides.

We all know that the "service" the NHS provides is sometimes poor... A guy that I worked with needs two hip replacements as he can barely walk. The NHS has told him it's a 6 month wait... if privatising the NHS reduces waiting times maybe it's a good idea...

Children should be fed (breakfast) at home not at school!

The responsibility for providing the platform for children to flourish at school lies firmly with the parent / guardian NOT the school.

School is for education. That's it.

There's a VERY limited space where the "state" might set strategic policy for raising children but the tactical / operational / day-to-day business of parenting is for PARENTS not state or, by extension, school.

I agree. Why do people think the state owes them everything from providing a job to feeding their children and giving them a council house? Does noone wants to provide for themselves anymore?

Do you think the cost of dementia care should be paid for in the same way as cancer care?

I think people should expect a certain level of treatment, but I can't see the point of spending thousands on people who have at best a few more months to live, treatment or otherwise..

When I'm old and decrepit, I wouldn't want to ruin the calculations of the exchequer for want of keeping me alive for a month longer..

I was talking about this the other day, I recon I'll tell someone to stick some poison in my food to send me on my way when the times right...

Only, I wont be able to do that will I ?.

Every time I'm aged an ill, I'll be looking with suspicion at everyone who comes by my bedside to feed me somethin or other..

So I wont be able to have a nice chit chat lest the fella/woman is the murdering bastard out to get me LOL's..

I generally think people do want to provide for themselves. The bad ones get the exposure and we buy the party line. I'm saving six grand if labour gets in as that's tuition fees payed. I don't see it as something for nothing though. I've worked my clems off for the last 20 odd years. It'd be nice to live in a society that regards hard working people, and not bankers as something to aspire to.

'sigh' No, I don't suppose you would -

but you're apparently quite happy for taxes to be raised in order to pay sweeteners to private companies to take possession of assets that we already own? You do realise Naylor's plan to save our NHS is for the NHS to be forced to sell all of it's land and buildings - i.e OUR land and buildings - to private enterprise. He thinks the government should invest large sums of money to make these deals more attractive to private buyers and any NHS Trust that chooses not to sell it's assets in a 2 for 1 deal to private investors should be starved of government investment until they change their minds - do you really think this is acceptable? I guess you do, as it's the same philosophy the Tories have used in disposing of all the public assets we used to own - water, gas, electricity, railways etc,etc..by flogging it all off to not even the highest bidder.

Well said Steve

It would be like selling your own house to a property letting firm at a big discount. Then renting it off them at full market value. Can't see that catching on, but the Tories have sold the idea to an awful lot of people.:thumbdown: