Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

10 hours ago, MattyF said:

I have no doubt it will mark , wild justice are trying , sabs are making a move to shooting and fishing by the videos I'm seeing ..
I'm sorry but I completely disagree , dogs are by far the best way to keep a controlled balance , foxes have no apex predators and dogs are the closest next to wolves that we have eradicated , a hunt will very very rarely catch a fox.. if they do it will be the knacker one that is so desperate for food it will tear it self apart in doing so to get in your chicken run or pets cages as it's incapable of hunting.

Bollocks. I shot three foxes over a week a few months back, a farmer friend lost around fifty birds which is a good chunk of his flock. Problem solved just like that over two nights. The hunt might go over his land (if he had more than an acre that he actually owns!) but they don't/didn't do anything to address the problem. They just like galloping around making a mess.

The fox is known throughout folklore of all different cultures for it's 'cunning', and amply demostrated by the way it's become the most successful wild canine of all time by living amongst humans in the cities. They will always go for an easy meal- just like rats. You equating it to a man eating tiger, forced to hunt humans due to an old injury, doesn't hold water.

As for the apex predator argument- that doesn't hold water either unless you just release packs of dogs to run wild, hunting foxes. Otherwise we are still the apex predator, and the dog is just a tool being used instead of a much more efficient shotgun or rifle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doobin said:

Bollocks. I shot three foxes over a week a few months back, a farmer friend lost around fifty birds which is a good chunk of his flock. Problem solved just like that over two nights. The hunt might go over his land (if he had more than an acre that he actually owns!) but they don't/didn't do anything to address the problem. They just like galloping around making a mess.

The fox is known throughout folklore of all different cultures for it's 'cunning', and amply demostrated by the way it's become the most successful wild canine of all time by living amongst humans in the cities. They will always go for an easy meal- just like rats. You equating it to a man eating tiger, forced to hunt humans due to an old injury, doesn't hold water.

As for the apex predator argument- that doesn't hold water either unless you just release packs of dogs to run wild, hunting foxes. Otherwise we are still the apex predator, and the dog is just a tool being used instead of a much more efficient shotgun or rifle.

Like yours, my initial response started with the B word but I decided simply to ‘like’ the original post from Mark since it’s such a binary and passionate issue.

No point getting into a direct discussion on it because it is bound to get heated. 

Just glad to see NT finally acting with the majority interest of their members. Next all major charities, LAs, land owners and any private organisation that wishes to sustain a credible corporate image. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

They just like galloping around making a mess.

I was never against hunting with hounds and would not participate but yes the mess was enough to never want them on land in my occupation.

Similarly I would never go to a driven shoot but happy to accept the odd brace, it has to be very occasional because of the lead risk . Mind unless I can mount and fire off my left shoulder my shooting days are over.

Edited by openspaceman

Really?? I'll call yours out as bollox , I bet 100% you now have a 100 young pretenders coming in for miles every night with the potential to do far more damage if there is a guaranteed food source such as reared birds available ..
I know and have lived on estates most of my life and was once told not to shoot the big dog fox that was at the back of my house by the keeper who had over 70 years of experience , I was told if I did every fox for miles would come in and try and take his territory , nature has a balance with apex predators and does need them.
I know keepers who have shot the big dog fox and have then had to spent the next month shooting 100's of young pretenders coming in for that prime territory.
  • Like 6

Like yours, my initial response started with the B word but I decided simply to ‘like’ the original post from Mark since it’s such a binary and passionate issue.

No point getting into a direct discussion on it because it is bound to get heated. 

Just glad to see NT finally acting with the majority interest of their members. Next all major charities, LAs, land owners and any private organisation that wishes to sustain a credible corporate image. 

Come on mr MBE don't be shy and hold back , what's your real beef with hunting ? Let's get heated !

9 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Really?? I'll call yours out as bollox , I bet 100% you now have a 100 young pretenders coming in for miles every night with the potential to do far more damage if there is a guaranteed food source such as reared birds available ..
I know and have lived on estates most of my life and was once told not to shoot the big dog fox that was at the back of my house by the keeper who had over 70 years of experience , I was told if I did every fox for miles would come in and try and take his territory , nature has a balance with apex predators and does need them.
I know keepers who have shot the big dog fox and have then had to spent the next month shooting 100's of young pretenders coming in for that prime territory.

Would the same thing would happen if a pack of dogs killed the big dog fox?

2 minutes ago, MattyF said:

It would not get caught , it would out run a pack of dogs all day long is the kind of point ...

Fair enough, it all just seems a bit pointless to me. If I had a problem with foxes I think I'd pay someone who knew which ones to shoot. 

• Haha 1