Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

supermarkets are NOT paying £20 per hour , some agency workers might get that for Sundays or nights !!

Well the driver who left the sawmill to take that job did very well then. This was information from the company's haulage manager.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Well the driver who left the sawmill to take that job did very well then. This was information from the company's haulage manager.

£20 an hour while still a joke is a wage you could just about live a semi-comfortable existence on. It’s little wonder there is such a huge shortage of people willing to to go through the training required (and potentially pay for themselves) when they can earn the same stocking shelves, have to fork out nothing on training and get home each night of the week. 

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

£20 an hour while still a joke is a wage you could just about live a semi-comfortable existence on. It’s little wonder there is such a huge shortage of people willing to to go through the training required (and potentially pay for themselves) when they can earn the same stocking shelves, have to fork out nothing on training and get home each night of the week. 

????  I doubt very few in  the Arb industry make £20 an hour  ( employed , or SE after expenses etc ), and you seem to imply shelf stackers do !!, the training to drive a lorry is cheaper and quicker to do than  arb certs .   I gather you work in the oil industry but do you have any comprehension of the real world ??  £20 an hour is £40k per annum for a 40 hour week and the national average is about £25 k !!

• Like 3

Just now, devon TWiG said:

????  I doubt very few in  the Arb industry make £20 an hour  ( employed , or SE after expenses etc ), and you seem to imply shelf stackers do !!, the training to drive a lorry is cheaper and quicker to do than  arb certs .   I gather you work in the oil industry but do you have any comprehension of the real world ??  £20 an hour is £40k per annum for a 40 hour week and the national average is about £25 k !!

Sorry, I was jumping around a bit there. I meant the average wage of £10 an hour as a Lorry Driver, it’s just not worth it. 

But I think it should be £20 an hour all things considered. In my mind it’s a job with at least twice the skills required, significantly more risk and responsibilities for the driver and those around him on the road and the long lonely days away from his/her family. So yes, he/she should be paid double the wage of a shelf stacker. 

There is certainly easy enough ways to make £50k a year. My brothers just moved up from London, was a Manager of a successful building firm. £55k a year but wanted to come back to Scotland. He’s been back since March and started up as what you could call an odd-job man till he gets his Building firm up and running. Works 3-4 days a week including quoting for work. Booked 2-3 months in advance and is making more than he made in London. We knocked out Slab laying job in 2.5 days. £2250 with £250 in materials (slabs already on-site) If he’s not making £400 a day profit out of the job he turns it down and is still booked out for months. We’ve got a job lined up when we get back. Should be 3 days max, £2k profit for both of us all going well. 

Why folk scratch a living knocking their pan in on the breadline I’ll never know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Sorry, I was jumping around a bit there. I meant the average wage of £10 an hour as a Lorry Driver, it’s just not worth it. 

But I think it should be £20 an hour all things considered. In my mind it’s a job with at least twice the skills required, significantly more risk and responsibilities for the driver and those around him on the road and the long lonely days away from his/her family. So yes, he/she should be paid double the wage of a shelf stacker. 

There is certainly easy enough ways to make £50k a year. My brothers just moved up from London, was a Manager of a successful building firm. £55k a year but wanted to come back to Scotland. He’s been back since March and started up as what you could call an odd-job man till he gets his Building firm up and running. Works 3-4 days a week including quoting for work. Booked 2-3 months in advance and is making more than he made in London. We knocked out Slab laying job in 2.5 days. £2250 with £250 in materials (slabs already on-site) If he’s not making £400 a day profit out of the job he turns it down and is still booked out for months. We’ve got a job lined up when we get back. Should be 3 days max, £2k profit for both of us all going well. 

Why folk scratch a living knocking their pan in on the breadline I’ll never know. 

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

The city centre is set for another slew of new residential towers, office revamps and venues, but the construction...

Your brother might want to stockpile materials if he hasn't already done so.

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

Cement is limited to 2 bags a visit, if they’ve got it. Somethings it’s just quick drying left. Bill bags of ballast is virtually never in. 

Thankfully he can just rattle off fencing materials on my mill as he bought 50t of Larch when I did. We’ve had builders come down 30-40 miles to buy larch and don’t bat an eyelid at the price he’s asking. 

But it seems like it’s just getting worse. 

a> <h3 class="ipsRichEmbed_itemTitle ipshttps://arbtalk.co.uk/assets/set_resources_21/6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.png' alt='6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.png'> '£600 a day is barely going to get lads through the gate': What the 'insane' demand for brickies and materials means for Manchester's building boom - Manchester Evening News WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK
The city centre is set for another slew of new residential towers, office revamps and venues, but the construction...

Interestingly after reading your link £600 a day for brickies does not surprise me. Supply and demand and all that. Which kinda ties in with what my brothers demanding and getting up here in the N.E of Scotland. Whilst it’s not enough to make me give up my day job it’s good to know there’s something to fall back on if I get made redundant or want to give up the off-shore game altogether. I simply cannot work in an office.