Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Just now, devon TWiG said:

It would probably be a bit like here , a very close run contentious issue ...to put it mildly !!!!!!😱😂

I think there would be a lot of surprises. But I can see the net contributors wanting out and the net beneficiaries voting to stay in. The EU has destroyed the landscape of Europe irreversibly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

It's been supply and demand. British employers unwilling to invest in training or wages, it's no wonder the void is filled by cheaper foreign workers. It's coming back to bite them in the ass now though. Catering jobs are being advertised with around 25% higher salaries than 2 years ago. It'll all contribute to the already skyrocketing inflation rate. 

It was the availability of cheap labour, employers could get foreign drivers cheaper, so they did, this drove down wages. It's pretty simple.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

It was the availability of cheap labour, employers could get foreign drivers cheaper, so they did, this drove down wages. It's pretty simple.

It is market driven though. Customers demand cheaper products, companies drive down cost. We can't blame European workers for the fact that our companies here in the UK have historically been able to pay lower wages. A higher living wage is certainly a good thing, but this skills shortage and the massive inflation we're suffering at the moment cannot be seen as a positive effect of Brexit. Quite the opposite.

4 minutes ago, Big J said:

It is market driven though. Customers demand cheaper products, companies drive down cost. We can't blame European workers for the fact that our companies here in the UK have historically been able to pay lower wages. A higher living wage is certainly a good thing, but this skills shortage and the massive inflation we're suffering at the moment cannot be seen as a positive effect of Brexit. Quite the opposite.

Customers do not "demand cheaper products" business try to attract customers with lower prices.

I don't blame the European workers, I blame the EU for allowing free movement.

Inflation it not all bad, it's great for reducing debt. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Customers do not "demand cheaper products" business try to attract customers with lower prices.

I don't blame the European workers, I blame the EU for allowing free movement.

Inflation it not all bad, it's great for reducing debt. 

No. I disagree.

We're going to see a very sharp increase in inflation, which is a) largely negative and b) mostly as a result of Brexit. 

Free movement is an almost entirely positive thing. Previously we had the automatic right to live and work in 28 countries. We now have that right in 1. It's the most massive contraction of personal liberty I can think any country has inflicted upon itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

No. I disagree.

We're going to see a very sharp increase in inflation, which is a) largely negative and b) mostly as a result of Brexit. 

Free movement is an almost entirely positive thing. Previously we had the automatic right to live and work in 28 countries. We now have that right in 1. It's the most massive contraction of personal liberty I can think any country has inflicted upon itself.

Fortunately when it came to a vote, the majority agreed with me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Fortunately when it came to a vote, the majority agreed with me.

It doesn't make you right. The shitshow that is the state of the economy emerging from the covid pandemic would tend to agree with me. We have the prospect of banana republic levels of inflation at the moment and the housing market is poised to burst. Can you honestly see the Bank of England holding the present interest rates if inflation is 5%? Once the base rate goes up, the UK house of cards property market crashes. Given that the housing/property market (and speculation on it) is the basis of our entire economy, we're primed for a major hit.

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

It doesn't make you right. The shitshow that is the state of the economy emerging from the covid pandemic would tend to agree with me. We have the prospect of banana republic levels of inflation at the moment and the housing market is poised to burst. Can you honestly see the Bank of England holding the present interest rates if inflation is 5%? Once the base rate goes up, the UK house of cards property market crashes. Given that the housing/property market (and speculation on it) is the basis of our entire economy, we're primed for a major hit.

All you ever do is talk the country down, you are an incredibly negative person. I don't recognise the picture you paint. I've never been busier or charged more.

I lived through interest rates at 15%, I don't see that returning, regardless of the inflation rate.

I really don't know why you keep bleating on and saying "we" I thought you were leaving?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

Better get that house of yours sold quickly then jonathan 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1