Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

What proportion of Britain do you reckon is built on? By that I mean covered by buildings, roads, car parks, railways, paths...

you said before about spending some of your time driving - surely you must have seen vast swathes of new builds that were open countryside in your younger days? 

The article states the obvious - that the Scottish highlands are still relatively unspoiled. If the 10% figure for England is correct it must mean the best 10% has gone, leaving a few flood plains, remote hill tops and boggy marshes we haven't ruined yet.

Hey what a boon it would be for the building trade if we tried to turn for example Lyme Regis into this

M.thumb.jpg.fb0e632fa03726c1e7cfec854d0d10f2.jpg

CachedImage.thumb.jpeg.00767ae8e9adc2ce7da2d73339ac3987.jpeg

Guest Gimlet
1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Thank feck Scotland is so rugged and isolated that the prospect of urbanising it like England will not happen in my generation. Hopefully in my Children's, or Grand Children's Generation 

Don't bet on it. Japan is more mountainous than Scotland and has less available arable land as a percentage of landmass than the UK. It is a third larger than the UK but has double the population, mostly in mega-cities on the coastal flats. It's all too feasible for Scotland to follow suit.

For Scotland to achieve comparable population density with England it needs to add 35 million to its population. More people means GDP. More GDP means more of other people's money to play with. Money means power. Never underestimate the determination of your political class to do precisely that. A lot of them would love to compete with England on every level, including population growth.

Edited by Gimlet

Just now, Gimlet said:

Don't bet on it. Japan is more mountainous than Scotland and has less available arable land as a percentage of landmass. It is a third larger than the UK but has double the population. 

For Scotland to achieve comparable population density with England it needs to add 35 million to its population. Never underestimate the determination of your political class to do precisely that. 

Hmmm, thanks for pissing on my chips. :D 

You're most likely right too! I can see me migrating to a more remote spot of Scotland as I get older. Or I'll manage to convince my mate to sell me 20 acres of his forested land and I'll build a cabin on it and live happily ever after. :D The family are down to their last 1000 acres, its only a matter of time before they sell another parcel. :D 

Guest Gimlet
5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Hmmm, thanks for pissing on my chips. :D 

You're most likely right too! I can see me migrating to a more remote spot of Scotland as I get older. Or I'll manage to convince my mate to sell me 20 acres of his forested land and I'll build a cabin on it and live happily ever after. :D The family are down to their last 1000 acres, its only a matter of time before they sell another parcel. :D 

And educate the next generation in the meantime to your way of thinking. The powers that be will move heaven and earth to indoctrinate them with the idea that endless expansion under the micro-control of benign government and their sponsors in big business is the only right, "safe" and equitable way to live. And right now they are winning that argument with those who have never known any other existence. You see youth everywhere swallowing it wholesale. It's up to us to reverse that.

Edited by Gimlet

2 hours ago, devon TWiG said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

What proportion of Britain do you reckon is built on? By that I mean covered by buildings, roads, car parks, railways, paths...e 

This on the BBC too, pro immigration propaganda, of course people in the building trades dont want to feel guilty about ruining the  countryside, they are just meeting a demand caused by pro immigration government policy.

Maybe Twig wouldnt mind some of the vast expanses of land within 50 miles of him to be turned into Legoland to house half a million immigrants. There's plenty of room here right? Boost the economy. Jobs for the boys. If net migration stays above 200k every single year, like it has for nearly twenty years that should keep a few brickies busy. Its all about trying not to feel guilty about economic growth. Vast acres gone and Barrat shareholders clapping like mad.

• Like 1

My post was nothing to do with immigration / population expansion etc etc ,,,,,but what public perception is of how much land in the UK is built on and it greatly surprises virtually everybody how little it is !!  google it or look on google earth , it is a very green and pleasant land we live in .    there is a lot of development going on near me ( newton abbot in Devon ) and although it does not please me to see it I am aware of just how much land is just grass !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

My post was nothing to do with immigration / population expansion etc etc ,,,,,but what public perception is of how much land in the UK is built on and it greatly surprises virtually everybody how little it is !!  google it or look on google earth , it is a very green and pleasant land we live in .    there is a lot of development going on near me ( newton abbot in Devon ) and although it does not please me to see it I am aware of just how much land is just grass !!

So what? We don’t NEED to build if we don’t import people! It’s time we put quality of life for natives first. 

although too fucking late, the Birmingham type will outbreed us. 

• Like 2

Following the damning Sunday Times piece today, would anyone care to offer a defence of Boris Johnson?

The incendiary Times article is behind a paywall so here is a round up of some of the key points:

1)Boris Johnson missed 5 COBRA meetings on the virus
2The Government sent PPE stock abroad
3)Training for key workers postponed for 2+ years
4)Department said lockdown needed 4 weeks before it happened
5)Pandemic plan not implemented properly

Boris Johnson should resign.
Please don't say that Corbyn would be worse.
Starmer has been no opposition to the shitehawks in charge. Seems like he's in favour.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Following the damning Sunday Times piece today, would anyone care to offer a defence of Boris Johnson?

The incendiary Times article is behind a paywall so here is a round up of some of the key points:

1)Boris Johnson missed 5 COBRA meetings on the virus
2The Government sent PPE stock abroad
3)Training for key workers postponed for 2+ years
4)Department said lockdown needed 4 weeks before it happened
5)Pandemic plan not implemented properly

Boris Johnson should resign.
Please don't say that Corbyn would be worse.
Starmer has been no opposition to the shitehawks in charge. Seems like he's in favour.

Yawn ? bloody yawn ? 

Mark for once give us a positive and tell us what the answer to all this is in your opinion rather that just pointing out or putting links up to anything that half agrees with how you view tories and Boris. 

• Like 6