Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, peds said:

Oops...

Singapore-registered container ship hits bridge in Baltimore US, 20 confirmed missing from the bridge so far, car drivers and construction workers.

Reminds me of that program that used to be BBC radio called The Navy Lark .....Left hand down a bit ...

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 23:28, Johnsond said:

Do you have much real life experience rather than google and statistics?. Those numbers are crap. I don’t know anyone who does a 35-40hr week, I guess a lot depends on who you associate with in regards most people you meet. Most people I know are grafting hard and making good money, often 100k plus. Are they rich,absolutely not, what they are is hard working people who have trained themselves up and often as not sacrifice time with family etc to pull in good money. Those sacrifices unfortunately are not reflected in the brutal levels of taxation we are hit with. 

You wanna get into timber. 90+ hours a week at times and rarely if ever over £20k per annum take home.

3 hours ago, WirralBoy said:

A news item to brighten your day, coutesy of BBC News.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A wildlife rescue was handed the ornamental tuft by a well-intentioned rescuer.

I mean, you've got to be pretty dim to have made a mistake like that surely? It's scary how out of touch with reality, the natural world, a lot of people are these days.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sime42 said:

I mean, you've got to be pretty dim to have made a mistake like that surely? It's scary how out of touch with reality, the natural world, a lot of people are these days.

I heard that she got it into the shoebox using the lid, so she didn't touch it at all, so wouldn't have the chance to realise. 

But yeah, a bit dim all the same. At least she's dim and kindhearted instead of dim and psychopathic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or is there a massive elephant in this room?

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The Health and Safety Executive says it is looking into how the crush developed at the school gates.

I mean yes the school should look at their procedures, but are they not going to tell the kids to not push in future?  Is it not allowed these days to ever suggest a child behaved badly?

My kids don’t go to this school but if they did I would like to think the first thing the school would do is make it clear that pushing and unruly behaviour is unacceptable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Whilst I agree, the reality is that things have moved on since we (well, me for certain) were at school.  I currently sit on the Parent Council for our local High School, and on Monday we discussed a recent event with the head teacher:

One 12yr old pupil was attacked by an older pupil, knocked to the ground and repeatedly kicked in the head.  All of this was videod by the attackers friends and posted on Insta.

School's response - notify police and parents, and then step back as quickly as they could from the situation.  The school say that they prefer to 'empower' families to make formal complaints to the police themselves as that is not their responsibility. (My view is that the safety and wellbeing of the child is the responsibility of the school whilst they are on the premises, but apparently that is not the case any more!).

Two days later the attacker is back at school getting counselling and receiving additional lessons whilst the poor child who was kicked in was/is still in hospital.  The family are too scared of the potential consequences to make a formal complaint and/or press charges.

I suspect that if it was a teacher who had been attacked then the school and local authority would have been all over it like a bad rash.

• Sad 4