Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

this link is a few years old but I am sure £11 million 3 years ago (and the rest before and since) has nothing to do with this then?

WWW.OPENDEMOCRACY.NET

Conservatives accused of being ‘in hock’ to developers as donations from property and construction soars amid ‘cash for access’ accusations against housing secretary Robert Jenrick.

..looking forward to the day when I don't see a tree on my commute, just flats, sorry apartments

• Like 1

Meanwhile in our multicultural capital 🤷‍♂️. I’d say Khan has more pressing issues than shafting motorists. 

• Like 3

The predictions are that in Scotland the population will decrease in the mid 2030s, about 10 years time, and in England 2045 to 2050 the prediction is a declining population. Population growth at the moment is fuelled by immigration, which if the Torys ever get their way will be stopped within a few weeks.

No problem building houses, I think the article is more to do with relaxing the environmental standards then the numbers of houses being built.

Perhaps however we don't need to build houses so close to rivers for this to be a problem (I always thought that a house near a river is a flood risk? Maybe I am wrong).

Personal view here is that instead of ripping up all the green spaces, pave paradise and put up a parking lot, that the existing housing stock should be replaced and refurbished... but this is too expensive for those that make big political donations..... The young, those that struggle to get on the housing ladder don't necessarily need an executive home, 3 car drive, a double garage and more toilets than bedrooms. To get the young on the housing ladder they want smaller places - flats maybe - near stuff rather than lifeless estates filled with executives and BMWs

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Steven P said:

The predictions are that in Scotland the population will decrease in the mid 2030s, about 10 years time, and in England 2045 to 2050 the prediction is a declining population. Population growth at the moment is fuelled by immigration, which if the Torys ever get their way will be stopped within a few weeks.

No problem building houses, I think the article is more to do with relaxing the environmental standards then the numbers of houses being built.

Perhaps however we don't need to build houses so close to rivers for this to be a problem (I always thought that a house near a river is a flood risk? Maybe I am wrong).

Personal view here is that instead of ripping up all the green spaces, pave paradise and put up a parking lot, that the existing housing stock should be replaced and refurbished... but this is too expensive for those that make big political donations..... The young, those that struggle to get on the housing ladder don't necessarily need an executive home, 3 car drive, a double garage and more toilets than bedrooms. To get the young on the housing ladder they want smaller places - flats maybe - near stuff rather than lifeless estates filled with executives and BMWs

Quite frankly if those predictions are correct I’m pleased I won’t be around ( if I get that far) to see this multi cultural built upon immigration version of the UK. 

• Like 3

Alot more single occupancy houses now that there used to be and set to increase?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

ONS also says those already on own are less financially secure than couples without children

So even if pop isn't increasing  means  more homes needed?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sime42 said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The government says removing EU-era pollution restrictions on developments could "unblock" 100,000 new homes.

Nice. This'll sort the sewage problem.

Having nearly 30 years in the wastewater industry I don’t think there is an answer, years ago works were in the middle of nowhere, sewage farms, when they were turned into sewage treatment plants they were still in the middle of nowhere, over the years all the land around treatment plants was sold off for housing, there simply isn’t the space to increase capacity. EO’s were always consented in storm conditions, now pumping stations and works go into EO due to lack of capacity. I can’t see it changing any time soon,

• Like 1