Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I phoned in today, didn’t get on though....

Wor Majeed often recounts his own perceived experiences of injustice, and even today opined on the inappropriate stance the Home Secretary took in seeking to bring ‘fear’ to criminals before they had even been tried and found guilty - I presume he was intimating that they were not criminals until after having been found guilty - a stance Id take issue with since ‘they’ would be criminals after having committed a criminal offence rather than after having been found guilty of doing so. But that’s a point to debate all on its own. 

The question I wanted to pose however was, since it is reported that the suspect in the current abduction/murder case has been hospitalised with head injuries twice in the short time in police custody, (a) is this not a case of a ‘pre-criminal’ being mistreated in police custody (especially given wor Majeed’s immediately previously stated discomfort with people being classified as crim’s prior to having stood trial) and (b) what would the reaction have been had said crim have been BAME and hospitalised twice in a week whilst in police custody. 

Odd isn’t it that a black career criminal dies resisting arrest in the US and creates such global outrage but that a white police officer in police custody gets his head kicked in (twice in a week) and it is barely noteworthy.

Whether he deserves it or not is not relevant - mistreatment in police custody is patently unlawful regardless of ethnicity.  

Is it only newsworthy when it affects BAME though?

• Like 6

Not convinced it's to do with the colour of his skin really. The news needs an audience and I imagine few viewers want them to 'support' the Cop who abducted and murdered someone.

I've not heard mention of any actual allegations that the suspect was assaulted in custody. It might be suggested that the injuries were self-inflicted 

14 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Not convinced it's to do with the colour of his skin really. The news needs an audience and I imagine few viewers want them to 'support' the Cop who abducted and murdered someone.

I've not heard mention of any actual allegations that the suspect was assaulted in custody. It might be suggested that the injuries were self-inflicted 

Id considered the same whether it might have been self inflicted. Maybe he ‘walked into a door’ or ‘slipped and fell in the shower?’

It’s possible, although after the first preventative measures should have been put in place. Duty of care. 

Any injury in police custody ought to be newsworthy - especially by those that espouse such strong views on ‘justice’ - like wor Majeed. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Wor Majeed often recounts his own perceived experiences of injustice, and even today opined on the inappropriate stance the Home Secretary took in seeking to bring ‘fear’ to criminals before they had even been tried and found guilty - I presume he was intimating that they were not criminals until after having been found guilty - a stance Id take issue with since ‘they’ would be criminals after having committed a criminal offence rather than after having been found guilty of doing so. But that’s a point to debate all on its own. 

The question I wanted to pose however was, since it is reported that the suspect in the current abduction/murder case has been hospitalised with head injuries twice in the short time in police custody, (a) is this not a case of a ‘pre-criminal’ being mistreated in police custody (especially given wor Majeed’s immediately previously stated discomfort with people being classified as crim’s prior to having stood trial) and (b) what would the reaction have been had said crim have been BAME and hospitalised twice in a week whilst in police custody. 

Odd isn’t it that a black career criminal dies resisting arrest in the US and creates such global outrage but that a white police officer in police custody gets his head kicked in (twice in a week) and it is barely noteworthy.

Whether he deserves it or not is not relevant - mistreatment in police custody is patently unlawful regardless of ethnicity.  

Is it only newsworthy when it affects BAME though?

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

That is exactly what's being suggested, he harmed himself. Do I believe it... hmmm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

That is exactly what's being suggested, he harmed himself. Do I believe it... hmmm.

OK, take the ethnicity, the (alleged) crime and the profession of the accused out of the equation - then ask - 2 injuries requiring hospital treatment whilst in police custody within a week?

Where is the human rights outrage? Where are the usual players? Where are the riots and lawlessness?

Tumbleweed. 

Now try changing some of the constituent parts (the alleged crime, the ethnicity and the profession) and how do you think the news and public reaction might be different?

All I’m saying is, those that seem to want to champion the civil liberties of pre convicted assumed offenders seem to have some kind of selective ‘lens’ on their goggles. 

• Like 3