Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Like the "Tory cuts" narrative for example??

I've seen LA staff out cutting roadside verges & islands today. Absolutely nugatory, unnecessary and costly.

You'd think (for "Tory cuts" read "an attempt to instil responsibility for local expenditure") "Tory cuts" would result in a drive to improve efficiency and budgetary responsibility, but no, LA's will continue to plough on, as they always have, thoughtlessly & wastefully expending resources whilst blaming central government for institutional inefficiency.

I for one am pleased they still cut the verges on main roads as the Lincolnshire roads are shocking and without the cuts you would go from seeing very little to noting at all in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I for one am pleased they still cut the verges on main roads as the Lincolnshire roads are shocking and without the cuts you would go from seeing very little to noting at all in a few weeks

Where necessary Richard, entirely appropriate.

What I saw today was completely unnecessary - even the wife commented, "what's the point of that?" and that's really saying something!

My point was, things are done, because they've always been done - regardless if necessary or not. A fortnightly cut, where it's NOT necessary might equate to a school crossing patrol which is being chopped...

That's my point, multiply all those unnecessary cuts and what does it add up to? A service that is being cut because management can't be bothered to review work schedules.

Boils my....

Some years ago we did a night time removal of some dead Elms on a main road in Preston. The road was closed for us. A muslim lady from about 100 houses down from where we were working came out with a flask of tea and Tupperware tub full of samosas for us. I guess you think we were idiots for enjoying her kind gift, we should have been fearful of her kindness?:001_rolleyes:

I'd say your extremely lucky you didn't instantly turn into a terrorist.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Some years ago we did a night time removal of some dead Elms on a main road in Preston. The road was closed for us. A muslim lady from about 100 houses down from where we were working came out with a flask of tea and Tupperware tub full of samosas for us. I guess you think we were idiots for enjoying her kind gift, we should have been fearful of her kindness?:001_rolleyes:

Do loads of work for Muslims myself (after the obligatory haggle of course)

Some of them seem very nice and hospitable.

I don't like the Islamic ideology that's all.

I can't think of even three good things that Islam has brought to these shores.

That still doesn't mean I have a "phobia".

Timon.

There are about 50 islamic countries in the world. About 5 of them are failed states ie Syria, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen. Other islamic countries are close to being failed states ie Pakistan. The best Islamic country is probably Turkey, and that's in the process of turning into an Islamic dictatorship.

Wherever you get a large population of muslims in western country it's a rubbish area ie Bradford, Tower Hamlets, Molenbeek, Brussels & Malmo.

There just seems to be something in Islam that is incompatible with a modern wealthy society.

We all know many Muslims are decent people, but a large influx of muslims just seems to destroy.

Where necessary Richard, entirely appropriate.

What I saw today was completely unnecessary - even the wife commented, "what's the point of that?" and that's really saying something!

My point was, things are done, because they've always been done - regardless if necessary or not. A fortnightly cut, where it's NOT necessary might equate to a school crossing patrol which is being chopped...

That's my point, multiply all those unnecessary cuts and what does it add up to? A service that is being cut because management can't be bothered to review work schedules.

Boils my....

I do see where you are coming from.

People round here get really stroppy if village verges/greens etc don't get cut regularly. I think to these people it's something visible for their council tax. Yet for other like you it's a waste of money!

I know I make money from it but I do think that it's good value for residents who do get a say if they choose on how many cuts the villages get. Even the ones with lots of cuts works out at less than £10 per year per household.

That said there are bits on these contracts that make even me standing to gain work scratching my head thinking what's the point of that!

Edited by Richard 1234

Making the news today (in the west of Scotland anyway) 50yrs since Glasgow Celtic became the first British club to win the European cup. A fair achievement with all 11 winning players coming from within 30 miles of Celtic park.