Tattoos in the workplace

JonB88

I do have a sleeve of tattoos on my left arm, easily covered if necessary and I like to think it was done in good taste. More of an arty expression if you like. But, others who have dodgy tattoos like 'England' just randomly slapped somewhere on their arm or 'Nan' on their neck; no, just no

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't discriminate against an employee or anyone for a tattoo.

I grew up with the sailor, jailbird era.

Personally I'm not keen, they date, fade and some are so chaotic it's like looking at newspaper print. I'd rather change the scenery and wear a different t-shirt.

Also it doesn't matter how smart a suit you buy, I don't think you look smart if you have tattoos creeping out of your cuffs or collar. It's a bit like wearing your trousers half down your backside. The rebel uncontained, creeping out from underneath.

Best tattoo I was ever wowed by was a Maltese guy on a dive crew in NZ. he had a really well done string ray on his back. It was a work of art.

I can see some merit in having your blood group tattooed on your shoulder, plus if appropriate allergy info, and maybe "do not resus", but I don't really get the attraction of tats myself.

I have no issue with others having them, and wouldn't discriminate, and I work with a lot of tattooed people (servicemen and ex-servicemen on the whole). I find tattooed chicks even more baffling and have met several otherwise stunners who've - in my opinion - disfigured themselves hideously.

Still it's horses for courses and what one person finds ugly someone else will love. It's what makes the world a wonderful, diverse and interesting place!

Hands and neck are known as Job Stoppers round these part.

That is if you work in offices.

Personally I have a tat, mates have sleeves and one has almost full torso apart from face. It seems to be a craze at the moment that's why I think an un tattooed body can look almost different.

I think there's also a massive difference between one or more badly done tats and a really well drawn tattoo. You can see some real craftsmanship in some tattoos. Id really like one, but in always paranoid I'd end up a worst tattoo thread somewhere.

Whilst getting my neck blasted today I was wondering how many people have tattooed guys working for them like hands etc. And whether people wouldn't employ someone because of it?

It's becoming more and more socially acceptable now but where would the line be in having someone working for you? I personally have never had any issues with them and it's always a good source of conversation with the customers etc.

I guess visible tattoos are a marmite type thing?

I think it is important to look at it from the potential customers perspective.Neck and hand tattoos are generally unacceptable to the older generation who make up a fair percentage of our clients.

If you are working on a job,as part of a team then any prejudice would likely be off set by the tidy rapid completion of the job with some interaction with the client.

However all turning up to a quote with neck and hand tattoos might well mean you are not the guy they choose.

You could however simply wear a skivvy and gloves.

What's the best you've ever seen lads?

I met a lad on holiday with one tat.

'shine on you crazy diamond' in really smart script just below the tan line on his back.

That looked smart.

A guy I worked with in the bush in New Zealand,he boldy chose "Chaos" to be tattooed down his arm.Sadly the Tattooist lacked a dictionary and instead the unlucky chap sports "Choas" down his arm.

The Spanish work for "Chaos" i am sure.

I think it is important to look at it from the potential customers perspective.Neck and hand tattoos are generally unacceptable to the older generation who make up a fair percentage of our clients.

If you are working on a job,as part of a team then any prejudice would likely be off set by the tidy rapid completion of the job with some interaction with the client.

However all turning up to a quote with neck and hand tattoos might well mean you are not the guy they choose.

You could however simply wear a skivvy and gloves.

That's exactly my view too Mike.

No problem with it myself and I have none.

I think tattoos on the face is a step too far, by any reckoning.

It appears to be a by-product of our social condition to judge others around us. I think we usually judge and discriminate towards what we don't understand, or feel threatened by.

However, increasing mixed racial and cultural interactions around the world are helping to break down those barriers and the improved social acceptability of tattoos is proof of that.