NPTC Refresher Certificates

Backpain

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long as refresher training been in place in the Arb industry?

It hasn't but some of the big companies have taken it that you need it before working for them, the likes of ground controle, Balfour Beaty, Ringway, even some district councils are starting to ask for it.

I can see the point in rescue and 1st aid refreshers but for everything is getting ridiculous.....

It hasn't but some of the big companies have taken it that you need it before working for them, the likes of ground controle, Balfour Beaty, Ringway, even some district councils are starting to ask for it.

I can see the point in rescue and 1st aid refreshers but for everything is getting ridiculous.....

Got ya. And agree. In my industry rescue and first aid refresher are every three years and have been since 1999. I refreshed my rescue and first aid ticket last year, (one day course) £170+VAT. Day off work, and a 120 mile round journey to the training centre.

Edit: got some of that wrong, that's self rescue, ie getting ya self out the hole using BA.

Full rescue course is a weeks course, can't remember off the top of my head what the price of that course is.

Edited by eggsarascal

Where it is truly ridiculous is in the utility sector. You have to have a refresher every 3 years (which is fair enough) and this has to cover everything you are qualified to undertake (also fair enough). Utility climbers qualified to NPTC UA2.3 will therefore be reassessed in electrical knowledge, ground work (including the use of insulated rods around conductors) tree felling (including assisted felling), and aerial tree work (ie chainsaw from a rope and harness near power lines). However, this doesn't subsequently count as CS refresher (even though it is more in depth than a lot of CS units), and these also have to be undertaken every 5 years!

To really rub salt into the wound, we have a client insisting on us undertaking NPTC blower training (which would also have to be refreshed after 5 years). They are happy that we are trained and competent to climb and use chainsaws from a rope and harness alongside their 11 and 33kv networks, but won't let us use blowers without another expensive bit of paper...

The whole NPTC job has become something of a money generating scam in my opinion, providing a lot of pointless jobs for box ticking experts. There should be the facility to get an assessor to undertake a complete evaluation of a candidates' skill set either on a work site during a normal working day, or at least to run through every ticket held at a training facility in one day for a flat fee (not having to re-register for every ticket!).

I personally hold (and have lads with) CS30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, UA1, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 5, PA1, 6, 6AW, NPTC woodchipper, brushcutter, pole pruner, stump grinder, ATV, tractor. All of these tickets now need individually refreshing either 3 or 5 yearly (not quite true as a number of the CS units will refresh together, but still!!).

On top of this are the task specific qualifications required by the various network operators we work on behalf of (SPEN, WPD and National Grid). Throw into the mix quarterly safety days and there aren't that many days left to actually go out and earn money!!!

Where it is truly ridiculous is in the utility sector. You have to have a refresher every 3 years (which is fair enough) and this has to cover everything you are qualified to undertake (also fair enough). Utility climbers qualified to NPTC UA2.3 will therefore be reassessed in electrical knowledge, ground work (including the use of insulated rods around conductors) tree felling (including assisted felling), and aerial tree work (ie chainsaw from a rope and harness near power lines). However, this doesn't subsequently count as CS refresher (even though it is more in depth than a lot of CS units), and these also have to be undertaken every 5 years!

To really rub salt into the wound, we have a client insisting on us undertaking NPTC blower training (which would also have to be refreshed after 5 years). They are happy that we are trained and competent to climb and use chainsaws from a rope and harness alongside their 11 and 33kv networks, but won't let us use blowers without another expensive bit of paper...

The whole NPTC job has become something of a money generating scam in my opinion, providing a lot of pointless jobs for box ticking experts. There should be the facility to get an assessor to undertake a complete evaluation of a candidates' skill set either on a work site during a normal working day, or at least to run through every ticket held at a training facility in one day for a flat fee (not having to re-register for every ticket!).

I personally hold (and have lads with) CS30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, UA1, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 5, PA1, 6, 6AW, NPTC woodchipper, brushcutter, pole pruner, stump grinder, ATV, tractor. All of these tickets now need individually refreshing either 3 or 5 yearly (not quite true as a number of the CS units will refresh together, but still!!).

On top of this are the task specific qualifications required by the various network operators we work on behalf of (SPEN, WPD and National Grid). Throw into the mix quarterly safety days and there aren't that many days left to actually go out and earn money!!!

So glad I'm 47 and three yrs away from hanging up my gear,to retire to Spain, do a little wood turning and not have to put up with ,councils,tpo's angry motorists,arsey clients , and ever growing costs, it's beaches and sunsets for me, as h&s is getting insane and none viable:thumbdown:

That sums up my opinion.

What the hell is that rubbish about blower training?. You'll need a certificate in the correct way to wipe your backside next.:thumbdown:

Think this is why I'm getting on with getting qualified to train and assess, being experienced enough to deliver a usable update/refresher courses will be in higher demand over the next few years especially since recently iv come across and heard of more trainers who can deliver the expected level of training to satisfy the level to pass the tests but that's about where there level stops also.👎

Not saying all are like that as I know a few who still pull tricks out to blow us away 👍