Why pickups?

theNakedApiarist

I suspect the real reason most have pickups is Micks last point, they look cool..

Like cloths that make you look good, pickups make you feel good....

I'll bet most who need a pickup, would be better off with a transit tipper...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Towing weight is higher.

4x4 can save a lot of time getting stuck. Many 4x4 vehicles never get used for this.

Generally built to be tougher, take knocks. Safer reassuring in hard working environments.

Image/ego/sheep/fitting the stereotype dreaming.

The tippers in arb versions carry more weight legally than 2wd. Also avoiding getting the O licence needed and extra paperwork when you run a higher weight vehicle.

Edited by Goaty

I suspect the real reason most have pickups is Micks last point, they look cool..

Like cloths that make you look good, pickups make you feel good....

I'll bet most who need a pickup, would be better off with a transit tipper...

Most outfits run both. Pickup to carry tools, tow the chipper/grinder.

So the chip truck can do its job and get really overloaded!

I've got a double cab ranger. Bloody comfy drive(maybe a tad noisey), pulls well, sometimes gets the chipper places the tipper couldn't (big gardens or fields), can chuck wood, saws, fuel, climbing kit in the back, I've got a vice bolted to the tail gate which is handy, always pulling the tipper out the mud (usually When's it's dumped off chip and no longer has weight in the back so slips on anything) , can fit a winch onto the front comfortably (next project but dont tell the Mrs) . A defender is king at most of those things but a lot less reliable and the tax thing is a perk. That's just off the top of my head :)

Yes it's just a fashion statement that I don't like being stuck up to my axles and having to leave a truck for the night at the back of some Wild West housing estate when I've tried to cross some grass and needed a recovery winch to get the transit and chipper out.. Or I like to make work by dragging brash and logs for miles because you can't take a transit on any thing other than asphalt.

As I work on my own for the most part, I can only drive one vehicle at once..

The Hilux went, the Sprinter MWB took its place... then the transit pickup...

I found I worked round problems with these vans that the pickup had no problem with.

I don't go on wet grass now, I don't even look forward to muddy ground anymore..

I can get more crap in the Tranny pickup truck than I ever could in the Hilux..

I miss driving round in the Hilux with its off road wheels and raised body, but I don't miss paying for its diesel..

One problem unique to the pickup and tranny pickup is how easy it is for thieving scum to nick you gear off the back...