Meetings with remarkable trees, the Arbtalk version

Steve Bullman

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

The pound is currently weak vs dollar, that's why Americans are loving their UK holidays at the moment.

Well yes but it is more than that.  Food, drinks and many other items double UK price.  Even in a supermarket things like packs of ordinary biccies start at $3.  I can get cheap biccies in the uk for under a pound.  Their petrol is still half our price and I am guessing energy prices also much lower.

Edited by Squaredy

53 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well yes but it is more than that.  Food, drinks and many other items double UK price.  Even in a things like packs of ordinary biccies start at $3.  I can get cheap boxes in the uk for under a pound.  Their petrol is still half our price and I am guessing energy prices also much lower.

Are you visiting family over there Gav

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Not quite sure if this comes under the heading of a remarkable tree, but it certainly is a remarkable bit of ivy at 9 inch diameter A324D108-E196-48F5-83B6-CE55BE3CC207.thumb.jpeg.e279123d29ea25d5f7c795f41cf15bb5.jpeg6C2C1F98-7349-4E53-9679-C74ABF6CB766.thumb.jpeg.cc382c1b52faf65a50882be6812dc891.jpeg352A62F2-0486-43F6-8A67-BB836F0C723C.thumb.jpeg.707cc927a337d642f9c96689815f3749.jpeg868A2149-424C-4B2D-9748-E8052E807E72.thumb.jpeg.eed559307dbb84f69279343d9fd30ab6.jpeg

That is a fair size. Apparently the Romans used it to turn very thin walled drinking vessels for wine as it is watertight and holds its contents. Gave a similar piece to a turner friend who found it very bitty and hard to get a good finish.

8 hours ago, daveatdave said:

any good for firewood

Often wondered the same thing. I keep meaning to set aside the bigger chunks I find to experiment, but never got round to it. 

I took out an absolute monster of a fuchsia a while ago as well and wondered if it'd burn well enough to bother with.

17 minutes ago, peds said:

Often wondered the same thing. I keep meaning to set aside the bigger chunks I find to experiment, but never got round to it. 

I took out an absolute monster of a fuchsia a while ago as well and wondered if it'd burn well enough to bother with.

I have burnt some in the stove, found it burns well even straight off the tree but does not last long.  This Winter I had some big bonfires of brash and the wind took some embers to a Sycamore  some distance away.  The Sycamore had some dead ivy hanging off it which we had killed a couple of years ago.  It went up like a Roman candle, but surprisingly did not seem to harm the tree.

• Like 1