Anyone?

woodwizzard

Ok I succumbed, I bought a 30" mill from these guys and yes they look good but on closer inspection they're no where near as good as the Alaskan that Rob sells.

The thickness of the aluminum is less then the original. The main adjustment nuts that you world alter regularly are not 1/2" so you have to carry another spanner where as on the original the chainsaw spanner fits, if that sounds petty try using it all day on site!

It just doesn't have that solid feel of reliability.

To be honest I wouldn't want to use it on a regular bases, don't think it could cope with the abuse, I certainly wouldn't feel safe using one of the bigger ones with an 880 & 48" bar.

Like so many cheap chinese copies this is really for the hobbiest or for those who want to test the water before buying the real deal.

I'll be using mine more as a static show piece at demonstration events.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to know that these cheapo mills aren't of the same quality, the thing is I'm happy with my Alaskan and I have never thought that it was over priced, decent tools have always been a cost in my life and I,ve always thought that a major factor in the cost of any equipment is just how much work I can get done with it and how much it will help me to earn.

I've question I've asked myself since the appearance of this cut price item is, when I originally unboxed my Alaskan equipment was I disappointed ......... definatly not, and not since either, so although the purchase cost difference is quite large it's insignificant in comparison to the work done and enjoyment and satisfaction had. cheers.

it's good to know that these cheapo mills aren't of the same quality, the thing is i'm happy with my alaskan and i have never thought that it was over priced, decent tools have always been a cost in my life and i,ve always thought that a major factor in the cost of any equipment is just how much work i can get done with it and how much it will help me to earn.

I've question i've asked myself since the appearance of this cut price item is, when i originally unboxed my alaskan equipment was i disappointed ......... Definatly not, and not since either, so although the purchase cost difference is quite large it's insignificant in comparison to the work done and enjoyment and satisfaction had. Cheers.

👍👍👍👍👍

It's good to know that these cheapo mills aren't of the same quality, the thing is I'm happy with my Alaskan and I have never thought that it was over priced, decent tools have always been a cost in my life and I,ve always thought that a major factor in the cost of any equipment is just how much work I can get done with it and how much it will help me to earn.

I've question I've asked myself since the appearance of this cut price item is, when I originally unboxed my Alaskan equipment was I disappointed ......... definatly not, and not since either, so although the purchase cost difference is quite large it's insignificant in comparison to the work done and enjoyment and satisfaction had. cheers.

I agree , it just amazes me that someone is willing to spend £1000 on a big brand chainsaw and £200/£300 on a Quality bar and chain and stick the whole lot into a Sub £100 Mill from China !

I agree , it just amazes me that someone is willing to spend £1000 on a big brand chainsaw and £200/£300 on a Quality bar and chain and stick the whole lot into a Sub £100 Mill from China !

For me it's just a toy, I can borrow a 66, buy a milling chain and have a play with bits of timber that would be rung up, given away or very occasionally sold.

If I can get enough planks to make a couple of picnic benches that would cost 3-400 £ each I'm quids in.

I'd touted with the idea of an Alaskan for ages but couldn't justify the cost.

Kind of obvious that the quality is going to be a little less than something costing 3 times as much :001_rolleyes: (would hope so anyway). If I were milling full time, then, like any tool in full time use, I would spend the money. For occasional use and diy projects these will be fine. I also think there is a difference between cheap Chinese "rubbish" and items made cheaper from china.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...