JK Rowlings hedge

Steve Bullman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's obviously untrue though. Or do you really think a fat ugly girl has a chance of becoming a model or someone in a wheelchair can become a professional footballer?

I just resent the "winner takes all" economics of some industries like books. The big authors will make untold riches and the nearly as good authors will make relatively little. Is this really fair?

How many tree surgeons are in the country? say 10,000? I bet they all have a fairly similar salary. How would you feel if the top tree surgeon was making £20million a year and the 100th best tree surgeon was making say £50k a year and the 1000th best tree surgeon was making £5,000 a year?

Copyright for books lasts for 70 years after the authors death. Sorry, but it doesn't seem right that the JK family will be collecting royalties for these books for the next 100 years...

JK knew what she wanted to do and worked hard to get it.You are confusing genetic and accidental disadvantage with determination and talent.

Every "little Author" has the possibility of publishing their work online for all and sundry to read.

I am sure there are more than 100,000 Tree Surgeons in the Country,the owners of the largest companies should be making 10X what their new groundies earn.They after all have taken on all the stress and risk,their remuneration should compensate somewhat for this.

Copyright,fortune or conversely infamy,all come down to fate.Her grand children have no say into what family there are born into.

It just seems a bit wrong to knock down a million pound house when people are living in shop doorways.

She earned the money so what's the matter?

Green eyed monster, that's the problem with the neighbours

Can't stand these people who are funny what others have

When you have trimmed her bush and dealt with her box are you going to give her a good pollarding as well?

In my dreams

At this stage in my life I dont have the stamina for long lengths, may just be a light lift and a quick clean out :-D

We all like a bit of patronage, proud as hell when we get the wealthy ones , but so jealous/ mocking when someone else does. It's not a great part of our nature is it ?

It is my feeling that if people spent a bit more time appreciating what they have and spent a little less time envying what others have, then everyone would be a lot happier. Some people make a lot of money, some don't, some people have good health, others don't, some people have lots of friends and family, others don't. Just be happy for what you have and make the best of your situation. Speaking from personal experience with close family, if you spend all your life resenting missed opportunities and other people getting ahead of you, it will turn you into a pretty sour and depressive person.

Why winge about what others have made? She worked hard to get what she has so good luck to her. You can talk as much as you like about the richest tree climbers making 20 mil but it wouldn't matter. If your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle. All that happens is you look daft

That's obviously untrue though. Or do you really think a fat ugly girl has a chance of becoming a model or someone in a wheelchair can become a professional footballer?

I just resent the "winner takes all" economics of some industries like books. The big authors will make untold riches and the nearly as good authors will make relatively little. Is this really fair?

How many tree surgeons are in the country? say 10,000? I bet they all have a fairly similar salary. How would you feel if the top tree surgeon was making £20million a year and the 100th best tree surgeon was making say £50k a year and the 1000th best tree surgeon was making £5,000 a year?

Copyright for books lasts for 70 years after the authors death. Sorry, but it doesn't seem right that the JK family will be collecting royalties for these books for the next 100 years...

I can't believe what a sh1t sandwich this thread turned into. Exemplified by the post above. Authors don't get "paid" they get royalties proportional to the books they sell. I can't believe you think this is unfair! Surely it's the most fair system of all if you write a crap book that no one wants to read then you don't make as much as popular author. If you want to make more money sell more books. Simples.

Fwiw JK will have paid huge Amounts in tax over the last few years as she is a UK resident and incredibly rich in fact I'll bet she has paid more to the exchequer than all us arbtalkers put together. What a sad bunch we are for holding her success against her.

I can't believe what a sh1t sandwich this thread turned into. Exemplified by the post above. Authors don't get "paid" they get royalties proportional to the books they sell. I can't believe you think this is unfair! Surely it's the most fair system of all if you write a crap book that no one wants to read then you don't make as much as popular author. If you want to make more money sell more books. Simples.

Fwiw JK will have paid huge Amounts in tax over the last few years as she is a UK resident and incredibly rich in fact I'll bet she has paid more to the exchequer than all us arbtalkers put together. What a sad bunch we are for holding her success against her.

Haven't you got a £20,000,000 tax return to be getting on with :biggrin:

She is, but do you really think there aren't better ways to spend the money to benefit society? If I gave you a million quid and told you 'spend this money to help society' would you really buy a house to knock down?

Would you prefer communism? If you do move to China (I used to live there and if you think there is poverty here you should look at poverty over there!!)or North Korea and see how well it works out for you!!