JK Rowlings hedge

Steve Bullman

I suspect she hedges her bets

easy-lift guy

I thought that she was bettering her hedges!

Anyone who thinks that writing a book is just like writing a post on Arbtalk should try and write a book and you will see that it is hard work

My wife has been writing her second book, a crime novel after a successful first book which was a book on craftwork. Novels are very different and the world of novels is very competitive.

Novels sometimes take years of rejection and rewrites, up every morning early to catch that still time of day, frustration, depression, and if she did not have me to support her she would be trying to fit in a job in between or if that did not work out she would be like JK on benefits. She has hope and self belief but will probably end up disappointed like thousands of others.

Dyson is another example of someone who lived on the edge for years, remortgaging his house, the family suffered, his relationship suffered he risked everything.

It is right that someone who sticks their neck out to produce something they believe in should be rewarded properly.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read all this thread what a load of politics. It started with trimming a hedge then ended up been a social/political handbag fight.

I'm not into Harry potter at all. But I'm glad that someone keeps what is often a neglect hedge species under control.

Leylandii can make a brilliant hedge if correctly managed, however I do question if that hedge is a bit to high? Surely next to the highway it only needs to be double decker height? Unless I'm not scaling it right.

I'm with Goaty. I thought tall poppy syndrome was bad in NZ!

You live in a society where you can be anything you want to be.Picking on the successful is to often a way of excusing ones own shortcomings.

The safe way to do the Hedge was with the correct Traffic management in place,this caused some disruption.If the correct procedures where not in place and the company was fined,the tabloids and yourself would be crying blue murder and exploitation of the working class by the rich.

I suggest working that little bit harder and that little bit smarter,concentrating on building your own success to distribute your own new wealth amongst your own employees.

Good post mike

You live in a society where you can be anything you want to be.Picking on the successful is to often a way of excusing ones own shortcomings.

That's obviously untrue though. Or do you really think a fat ugly girl has a chance of becoming a model or someone in a wheelchair can become a professional footballer?

I just resent the "winner takes all" economics of some industries like books. The big authors will make untold riches and the nearly as good authors will make relatively little. Is this really fair?

How many tree surgeons are in the country? say 10,000? I bet they all have a fairly similar salary. How would you feel if the top tree surgeon was making £20million a year and the 100th best tree surgeon was making say £50k a year and the 1000th best tree surgeon was making £5,000 a year?

Copyright for books lasts for 70 years after the authors death. Sorry, but it doesn't seem right that the JK family will be collecting royalties for these books for the next 100 years...

She did right to have her bush trimmed properly.

And to those who resent massive wealth....

Successful people must love all this 'verbal bashing'.

All the time the cynics are spending moaning/hating/resenting - they are not getting off their botties and doing something positive with their own lives and will not be a threat to those who achieve success.

I'm sure if I really (I mean REALLY) wanted to be a millionaire I would have found a way years ago. But I am happy to sit down and rest in some of my spare time. I enjoy my life where I am. I don't mix with people I consider idle, I mix with people I like and I can afford nice holidays. I'll never have the money that people like JKR has but I'm happy.

If JKR was happy to spend years writing, or Alan Sugar goes to the far East as a teenager to find cheap manufacturers, good luck to them.

We have options. Do something for yourself but stop the frigging whingeing.

She did right to have her bush trimmed properly.

And to those who resent massive wealth....

Successful people must love all this 'verbal bashing'.

All the time the cynics are spending moaning/hating/resenting - they are not getting off their botties and doing something positive with their own lives and will not be a threat to those who achieve success.

I'm sure if I really (I mean REALLY) wanted to be a millionaire I would have found a way years ago. But I am happy to sit down and rest in some of my spare time. I enjoy my life where I am. I don't mix with people I consider idle, I mix with people I like and I can afford nice holidays. I'll never have the money that people like JKR has but I'm happy.

If JKR was happy to spend years writing, or Alan Sugar goes to the far East as a teenager to find cheap manufacturers, good luck to them.

We have options. Do something for yourself but stop the frigging whingeing.

Agree, it's very important she has her bush trimmed properly!

I think I need to get on a plane now, I believe her box needs attending to as well.

But yes unless you personally are in a position to change things get on with your life to the best of your abilities and avoid losing time wishing things were different. God loves a tryer.

Also much earlier in this thread ( can't believe its rattled on for this long !) it was mentioned that she'd bought a neighbouring house for a million just to demolish it. I cant imagine she sent 'the boys' round to negotiate this , - the money was taken and life moves on. As long as she continues to pay the bucks to maintain the place we're all potential winners.

Move on.!!