Do students learn any thing?

Theocus

I have a chap who is working with me at the moment who has done a 1 year course at Morten Morrel College. He passed all his course work etc and was sent into the big wide world to get a job.

He came out of college with no nptc units at all, never used a chipper, watched a stump grinder a few times and climbed a few trees. No idea on pruning, really poor id skills and as far as hazards etc, that doesnt exist!!!!

It is not his fault at all but sometimes your think it would be better to just work your way through life and learn as you go.

Has anyone else sometimes thought what do they learn at college these days!!!

i have a collage boy & i keep asking wtf did you learn in that 12 mths reply didnt teach us nowt :confused1:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that there are other factors at play.

I am amazed that some of the Tutors and assistant tutors at the arb schools in the UK lack a solid industry background.Some or even many are not and have never been profficiant production climbers.

When I went to "Woodsmans School" in New Zealand the Tutor was a guy in his fifties that had seen and done it all.He had started in the Forest as a lad,owned and run logging crews etc.We learned the course and more.He skimmed over the impractical and ephasised the applicable.

In an industry that recognises experiance and aptitude over tickets and qualifications.Have we gone to far in our quest for "education"?

I think the problem is that College is an artificial environment. I think theres a lot to be said for apprenticeships.

Not that I had any of that. I started out working for free at the NT during the day whilst working in a supermarket through the night! How I didn't crash in the mornings I'll never know.

Graft will out IMO.

I have a feeling that there are other factors at play.

I am amazed that some of the Tutors and assistant tutors at the arb schools in the UK lack a solid industry background.Some or even many are not and have never been profficiant production climbers.

When I went to "Woodsmans School" in New Zealand the Tutor was a guy in his fifties that had seen and done it all.He had started in the Forest as a lad,owned and run logging crews etc.We learned the course and more.He skimmed over the impractical and ephasised the applicable.

In an industry that recognises experiance and aptitude over tickets and qualifications.Have we gone to far in our quest for "education"?

good post mike

I think we went to far a long time ago..... the whole training health and safety thing in are industry i consider as just a big drain and waste of time and only a money making spin for few to benifit and on all companys a way of ensuring every thing gets corporatised........a 3 year apprenticeship followed buy college i think is the only way to cut out accidents( or bring them down to a lower level) is the way forward imo