Do students learn any thing?

Theocus

I have a chap who is working with me at the moment who has done a 1 year course at Morten Morrel College. He passed all his course work etc and was sent into the big wide world to get a job.

He came out of college with no nptc units at all, never used a chipper, watched a stump grinder a few times and climbed a few trees. No idea on pruning, really poor id skills and as far as hazards etc, that doesnt exist!!!!

It is not his fault at all but sometimes your think it would be better to just work your way through life and learn as you go.

Has anyone else sometimes thought what do they learn at college these days!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post Theocus, and very surprising that your chap has come out of Morten Morrel so low on skills. Whats he been doing for the last 12 months?? Maybe it’s a case of ‘you get out what you put in’, which applies to the ‘real world’ as well as the synthetic, surreal world that is college.

I personally favour the apprentice route, although to be fair; I have no direct experience of a newly qualified, full-time student.

Tom, our apprentice is now coming to the end of his two years and has now passed all his essential tickets, he works like a dog when needed to, and I’m proud I’ve set him on the path of a enjoyable and rewarding career.

Thumbs-up to apprentice schemes every time! :thumbup1:

I asked my chap what he wants to do professionally and of course he said a "Tree Surgeon" so he has enroled again into Pershore this time to do another year. I am trying to pursued him to work and learn on the job. I have even threatened to not pay him and get him an nptc ticket instead!!!!

Like you said you get back what you put in, and on occasion i have to speed him up!!!!

Surely there must be apprentiships from places like Morten Morrel and Pershore. I told him employers will look for experience and tickets, National Diplomas do not mean much in our industry.

Did you find a new chap for your crew in the end John?

being an apprentice myself i have to agree with john, :P it suits me much more than the ND arb kind of courses, i have gotten my CS 30, 38 and PA 1/6 so far in 11 months, waiting on my 31 dates, and may well fit in my 39 if im lucky.

alltogether i think its a great way to learn, also i have learnt things at work that you will never learn at college, like the customer side of things and little tricks to make jobs easier.

but the there are people on the apprenticeship who have achieved hardly anything, because they simply dont put the effort in, i think on any course you have to be motivated to want those qualifications to make a way for yourself in this career.

Good answer, I'm about to put my son through an apprenticeship and will get his tickets done through the local college as the training is then free but i have to pay for assessment.

I spoke to a lot of the guy's at the college doing Arb courses and the weren't to impressed with the course but they said the same as John that you only get out what you put in.

I did a year of countryside & Habitat management at my local college and some of the kids there were just on an easy ticket to £30 a month that the government pays them to be in education, most of them never bothered handing in the course work and would dissapear once they got the tick in the box. Think the young lad you have may be a bit of a slacker to be honest Theocus.

Surely there must be apprentiships from places like Morten Morrel and Pershore. I told him employers will look for experience and tickets, National Diplomas do not mean much in our industry.

Did you find a new chap for your crew in the end John?

I went to see Pershore College last week, apparently apprenticeships will start next September, so it looks I’ll have to spend a year without one. There maybe a chance of giving Tom a full time post sometime in the future (but I’m not sure I can trust him to look after a proper wage!)

I did find a new chap, Mathhew Padden, from Lancashire. He’s working as a contract climber at the moment and is going to move down here. He scored really well in the interview and tests (he’s ISA Cert Arb, and it showed) Fingers crossed that he’ll fit in.

Having completed a National Diploma in March and started A SVQ 2 modern apprenticeship soon after, I have gained a better understanding of the industry working hands on. Even after a months work experience a had gained valuable knowledge which I dont think you would be able to pick up at college.

But if I had to do it again, I would still go to college and get the Diploma as having that piece of paper is always good to have.

I think if you get a good employer, a promising trainee and a good college, your onto a winner. If any of those three are missing then your onto a none-starter. One problem these days is the ‘attitude’ that accompanies a lot of young men. Its taken me over 12 months to knock it into Tom how important it is to…

Arrive at work on time.

Ask questions ALL the time.

Go to bed at a ‘normal’ hour.

Leave the attitude at home.

Its taken a while but now he’s a genuine, likeable young-man, who can climb, work hard and handle a chainsaw.

This is him doing a small Oak take-down, 12 months into his apprenticeship……

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqSA_4_0u0]YouTube - Tom Oak[/ame]

Well i was supposed to go to college when i left school but family problems interviened and so had to go into the big bad world and get earnin some money! To start with i was gutted because i thought im never gonna get trained up to be a tree surgeon but then i got took on by a small contracting company. Since day one there ive worked like a dog and if there was ever anything i dint understand then i asked! Im now there head climber and im now also lookin into goin to college. I personally think that alot of practical experience with people who know what there talking about will benefit you a hell of alot more than bein in a class room. Sayin that though i really want to learn alot more on the theory side. I do spend alot of my spare time reading books and of course theres arbtalk!! woo hoo!!