red diesel the law.

jase8519

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a twin tank system one for white for road & public highway work. The other red for work on private land. A mog or agricultal vehicles will drive on and off public highways all the time. Why should you have to pay full duty to work on private land fuel duty is sposed to be there as funding for highways maintenance. You can switch from one tank to another depending on mood and location of goverment employees. If theres White in the tank you have paid duty. How many miles you have done private or public is a guess!

No twin tanks allowed, last q+a at the bottom of this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles/excise-notice-75-fuel-for-road-vehicles

Bob

Problem is with twin tanks you need a tap in the fuel return line as well otherwise it would just mix in tank anyway.

I have heard some people fill the original tank with white and pull the pipes off, however there is a hidden tank somewhere full of red, so if you get stopped and dipped it shows white.

Medium roof transits are great, slave tank above the cab with fuel pipes running down the inside of the bulkhead, or so my mate said

Its easier to just run straight with a good accountant. Is it worth the hassle of running on red and keeping the books balanced to cover lack of fuel receipts.

Plus i thought they could test for red at the exhaust??

I run on white, but have started adding 2-stroke oil (about 0/5l per 80l tank) which makes a massive difference in engine sound and feel. It is much smoother, sounds less harsh, and starts easier.

This oil has a red dye in it...

I presumed the vosarians can somehow tell the difference and I have fuel receipts with the mileage on them in the car.

But can they really tell the difference, and how?

I run on white, but have started adding 2-stroke oil (about 0/5l per 80l tank) which makes a massive difference in engine sound and feel. It is much smoother, sounds less harsh, and starts easier.

This oil has a red dye in it...

I presumed the vosarians can somehow tell the difference and I have fuel receipts with the mileage on them in the car.

But can they really tell the difference, and how?

Depends if you get a jobs worth dip you is it no down to you to prove it's not cherry.

Would it not be better to put the husky green in as it would be hard to detect.

What are you running it in

A farmer friend of mine was stopped and dipped and found to run on red so there asking him to prove where the reds gone. As he supplies half the landscapers in the area with red this has been differ cult for him. There asking for 8 k off him.

My brother in law used to run machines for ground work and I'm sure he used to run them on red and pay the duty on the fuel in retrospect. I found this to cover a lot of the points raised. I just saw a local "farmer" who has a machine hire and training business pulling a 360 on a low loader with his Fastrac and have seen him pulling it with a McCormick as well and I bet Vosa will be all the names under the sun when they catch up with him.

Friend of mine had a fishing boat ( private not commercial ) and he had a dummy tank and filler neck that held about 3ltrs of white . Round the other side out of easy view there was the proper filler connected to the real tank which contained you know what . Don't know if he ever got dipped but that was his trick .

Its not uncommom, i was once aquanted with a fellow who used to run a tri-axle down to spain and back regularly,he had a hidden red tank behind a false front of his trailer,would run on white to the ferry,then switch to red for europe,then back onto white when he hopped on the return ferry.

I later disassociated myself from him when i found out more about him.

Friend of mine had a fishing boat ( private not commercial ) and he had a dummy tank and filler neck that held about 3ltrs of white . Round the other side out of easy view there was the proper filler connected to the real tank which contained you know what . Don't know if he ever got dipped but that was his trick .

Boat diesel has got strange in the last few years- now boat owners fill up from one pump, but then have to declare what percentage will be used for propulsion (duty to be paid) or for space/ water heating on board etc (no duty). Someone buzzing up and down canals constantly should be paying more for a tankful than someone who is moored up and not moving often. Odd, but there you go.

Boat diesel has got strange in the last few years- now boat owners fill up from one pump, but then have to declare what percentage will be used for propulsion (duty to be paid) or for space/ water heating on board etc (no duty). Someone buzzing up and down canals constantly should be paying more for a tankful than someone who is moored up and not moving often. Odd, but there you go.

So private boat owners now pay duty?

Good thing too IMO. Few years back we were waiting to fill up dads boat (25 litres) There was one of these Home - Princess Motor Yacht Sales filling up. The pump read 9000 litres! Think that was all duty free cherry.