How important 750kg chipper

Hardmet

It does not sound like you have ever used a good chipper.

I've used a fair few chippers, I just don't see what the fuss is about with big heavy chippers. <750kg chippers probably didn't exist pre '97, they didn't need to. Now we have chippers that produce more power and chip larger material than the chippers that weighed over a ton did 5-10 years ago, whilst using half the fuel, which now costs three times more. But I suppose you're asking if I've ever used a big chipper, no, haven't needed to, doubt I ever will either

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done my share of bigger trees yes. I've also done a lot of clearance work, rancid lapsed hedging type material that would almost need chipping prior to attempting to get a 6" machine to pull it through.

I'm not lazy at all when it comes to brash, for me it's all about efficiency so most days I'll stack brash into armfuls from the tree, ready for my groundsman to pick up and put straight into the chipper, no snedding needed. With a bigger chipper I can drop one branch with a couple of forks, still an easily liftable size, and it will go through in one, meaning the guy is on his way back to the dz while the chipper does the work. With a smaller chipper I'd be making more cuts, dropping more bits and the groundsman would have to feed more bits into the rollers. Not to mention the hazards of increased cutting, and increased amounts of falling material.

I think you're being obtuse about flywheel speeds, what I said clearly didn't refer to rpm, but throughput capacity. There is always going to be an increase in brash throughput as the size of machine increases. You don't see biomass boys running Jo Beau's because bigger machines 'aren't really faster with brash'

Fwiw, I'm the most anal person I know when it comes to clean timber, as anyone I work with will tell you. I can't stand stubs, they are dangerous and make handling and stacking more difficult.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Not to mention you can put 8 branches through at a time rather than 1 or 2

Agreed!

We run both TW150 (6") and a pto GM220 9" (125hp mog power)

Whilst they are both excellent chippers, the GM is MUCH quicker by virtue of the fact that next to no snedding of branches is required and we can load bigger quantities into it.

The no stress rarely ever kicks in and the power of the feed rollers is much greater so it just keeps chipping away.

We find it's more economical to drag out, stack and then chip in one go or in batches on larger trees. Such is it's capacity and work rate. I think it weighs about 850kg. If we ever get a second mog we will definitely look to get a similar pto machine for it..

I've done my share of bigger trees yes. I've also done a lot of clearance work, rancid lapsed hedging type material that would almost need chipping prior to attempting to get a 6" machine to pull it through.

I'm not lazy at all when it comes to brash, for me it's all about efficiency so most days I'll stack brash into armfuls from the tree, ready for my groundsman to pick up and put straight into the chipper, no snedding needed. With a bigger chipper I can drop one branch with a couple of forks, still an easily liftable size, and it will go through in one, meaning the guy is on his way back to the dz while the chipper does the work. With a smaller chipper I'd be making more cuts, dropping more bits and the groundsman would have to feed more bits into the rollers. Not to mention the hazards of increased cutting, and increased amounts of falling material.

I think you're being obtuse about flywheel speeds, what I said clearly didn't refer to rpm, but throughput capacity. There is always going to be an increase in brash throughput as the size of machine increases. You don't see biomass boys running Jo Beau's because bigger machines 'aren't really faster with brash'

Fwiw, I'm the most anal person I know when it comes to clean timber, as anyone I work with will tell you. I can't stand stubs, they are dangerous and make handling and stacking more difficult.

On the money here Dan.

Eddie, I think you should use some bigger chippers in day to day worksite scenarios - it may alter your perspective. Paper figures and real world reality don't always match.

I have found that bigger chippers save time and therefore increase productivity and profit. This has been reinforced by the introduction of an extremely capable under 750kg 6 inch chipper onto my little fleet - it does everything required of it but it cannot keep up with 3 groundies (and probably not 2 in reality) where the 1928 always wants more!

I have had a lot of different opinions from arborists with regards 750kg tow weights of a 6" chipper. as a manufacture we are interested to know if you guys find the tow weight more important then performance and durability.

Which one is the decider when choosing a chipper?

Bet you wished you never asked now :lol

GlobalNewark is right, if the machine is going to be over 750kg, it has to be 7"+, if it's a 6" then sub 750kg (providing laws don't change, as stated earlier).

Regarding the comment about just £500 for a trailer licence - it costs a lot more than that to the employer.

I recently put my two guys in for the +E, £1000+ for the trailer/test (for the 2), £400 in wage costs plus the lost income for the two days and then only one passed! - cost me a lot more than £500.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I have had a lot of different opinions from arborists with regards 750kg tow weights of a 6" chipper. as a manufacture we are interested to know if you guys find the tow weight more important then performance and durability.

Which one is the decider when choosing a chipper?

You cant ignore the 750kg chipper market because there seems to be a reluctance for most of the younger lads to sit the trailer test. If there is room for maneuver weight wise in the build of smaller chippers why not improve them a bit . A handbrake would be a big bonus as would a better designed hopper/roller feeds to deal with brash ( maybe include side rollers), an engine fan that blows through the rad rather than sucks dust and chip into it, a decent size glass bowl water/crud fuel separation filter, a sensible deflector on the chutes that stay where you put them and increase the amount of blow through so the chip can hit the headboard of a bigger truck. I also dont see why an in inch cant be added to the blades to increase the capacity of these smaller chippers , surely the stress control will deal with the extra load. ( can you tell we have Timberwolf chippers) :)

Bob

750 Chippers have there place one of the guys I work for dose a lot of work in London and there's been a few times where we have been working in the hidden gardens they want the chip so we can push the chipper in right to the bottom of the tree could still be done with a big chipper but would be far more hassle they don't take brash so well due to the opening size where as I have a old 7 1/2 kwickchip that's pulls most stuff in without the need to sned up my old girl out performs his 150 side by side and a bandit would leave mine for dead I think there will always be a need for a wide range of different size and weight Chippers to fit the job you are doing no one chipper will ever do it all