Driver CPC

Alycidon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing is a money-printing, box-ticking exercise in expensive bureaucracy. I've got a C+E, but from the end of this month I can only use it for personal stuff because I haven't done the CPC.

If it was something I could study in my own time then take an exam in a few hours, I would do it. I'm not unaccustomed to studying - I got 12 O levels, 5 A levels and a degree from Cambridge, FFS! But these courses are a "one size fits all" job, and the pace of the training will be SO slow it's just not worth taking a week of leave from the day job and paying good money to be bored sh*tless!

Of course, many of the near-retirement old guys with years of experience will simply not bother and will retire. We can therefore look forward to a peak in serious HGV accidents as the remaining workforce try to meet the demands of the reviving economy with so much valuable experience lost.

And no doubt when that peak occurs, we'll be told by the EU that that UK has clearly done a poor job of the training...

of course everyone knows that the "CPC", certificate of professional competence, is to bring us up to the standard of european drivers, what a joke, if this is the case why arent they teaching how to watch the telly, cook soup, and have a phone conversation, all while weaving an artic all over two lanes, these days all you require is a cheap flight to one of the eastern european countries, a made up name, and a wad of cash, turn up at one of the corner shops and purchase your "new" european hgv and cpc over the counter , wheres the problem in that, no boring classroom time, no difficult training or tests, must be a good idea, what do you think......lol

On my credit card type licence it says C1+ E with a pic of a 4x4 and a trailer.

Took me all day to get anyone at VOSA to talk to me, in the end I got a girl who gave me the normal number. This had a 45 min queue at 10am this morning and only opens till 12 midday.

Speaking to an HGV operator this evening he thinks that as tacho is required then so will driver CPC. He doubts VOSA will advise, seems they usually say take legal advise or test the law in court. No reply to my Saturday E mail yet.

A

Did you get an answer? My interpretation of the HMG pages on this is that our Defender+trailer is C+E and therefore no CPC is required in any legal configuration, but a tacho is required when the Gross Train Weight gets over 3500kg if we're using the combination commercially.

Did you get an answer? My interpretation of the HMG pages on this is that our Defender+trailer is C+E and therefore no CPC is required in any legal configuration, but a tacho is required when the Gross Train Weight gets over 3500kg if we're using the combination commercially.

This is correct.

haha so much conflicting information.

I thought I needed a cpc to tow a trailer behind the landy so went to book myself in, and was told this "when driving the truck you are driving on category B, put the trailer behind and you are driving on B+E, CPC is only for driving using the C category so I don't need it"

Obviously I can't drive lorries for gain until I get a CPC but am happy that was cleared up.

The whole thing is a money-printing, box-ticking exercise in expensive bureaucracy.

If it was something I could study in my own time then take an exam in a few hours, I would do it. But these courses are a "one size fits all" job, and the pace of the training will be SO slow it's just not worth taking a week of leave from the day job and paying good money to be bored sh*tless!

Same as the TM tickets! A week of day dreaming before a 2 hour test completed in 30mins! Pants!!