Dragging parked cars out of the DZ

TimberCutterDartmoor

Had a tree to raise over a road year's ago van and car parked in cones area found van owner how moved, knocked on doors to find car owner then found out some lads looked at it a week ago and could not start it so left. So hooked a chain on it and gave it a tow away from tree but when I backed up chain stayed tight, the lads had forgot to put hand brake back on so had to kick front wheels round to hit kerb and chock rears to stop it rolling away.

And have had to walk up to cars people have refused to move with a chain and it surprising how quick they move them.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never done, just went and did another job.

I would never drag 1 out the way .

Everyone has busy life's, they simply just forgot, I very doubt it would be intentional.

Sometimes it is intentional though.

Years ago we did a very large job for a housing association. Removing multiple Lombardi pops from HA land bordering with a 60t mobile tower crane. All resident had been informed and one particular guy just refused to cooperate and he implied that he would do every thing in his power to stop the work going ahead. The land bordered Network rail land and the trees had to be removed. The job needed railway shut down at approx 10k per day and had been scheduled for months. The crane was in the region of 5k plus per day and testing in the car park by Network Rail officials deems it unstable for that size crane. New mats had to be fabricated at 12k a piece. Plus the costs of wages for 8 guys dubble bubble over a bank holiday weekend.

Sure enough the car park was empty when we arrived apart from one car parked in the middle right where the crane needed to set up. We used go jacks to move the car as the HA had laid out so much money and time and effort in planning, the job could not be moved to another day.

We pushed the car out of the way and around the corner out of site and cracked on. Fair enough it was exceptional circumstances and needed to be done but there was too much on the line to not do it.

Never had any come back from the guy. I hope he found his car though.

image.jpg.810a00cedae306783cc37114be24327d.jpg

Edited by Rich Rule

If you can get a shovel or spade under each tyre you can soon skid them out of the road.

I wouldn't leave my car in a dumb place. But a shovel under my rear wheels would get you nowhere, as I always leave vehicles in gear. Comes of learning to drive/park in mountainous terrain. And my present car is front wheel drive.

Couple of years ago we had a road closure and parking suspension for a county council highways job. The city council chaps came and took all the parked cars away. A city council van that had parked there, they lifted and put by a wall on the grass verge to make it awkward for the driver. Even with this some hooney parked under a tree while we were having a break, so I dragged it out of the way. The works were for part of the Olympic torch route and the road was being repaired and double yellows painted.

I wouldn't condone moving a vehicle without the owners consent. Insurance wise, you wouldn't be covered, legally I doubt you'd have good reason (twocking) and if heaven forbid you scratched it, you have to pay. Ok on the council moving them, that's their responsibility, not yours. If someone moved our car without consent I'd be rightly annoyed. I've been there when cars are left in the way, especially London. It happens, work around it. Leaving a note is not a legal document, or order, it's only a request.

We hit an illegally parked vehicle obstructing a building site years ago, ripped the side of the motor out trying to get through. The insurance tried to wriggle out of it because the car (hire car) was illegally parked in a restricted area, clearly signed with huge signs that it was a construction site access, and parking was forbidden. We were found at fault as it was us that hit the vehicle, illegally parked or not. From then on, in a similar circumstance, we would turn around and leave the job until parking issues were resolved. There's always another day.

I wouldn't leave my car in a dumb place. But a shovel under my rear wheels would get you nowhere, as I always leave vehicles in gear. Comes of learning to drive/park in mountainous terrain. And my present car is front wheel drive.

I thought the idea was to skid them on the shovels so matters not if its in gear or not .........

Had my car moved by another tree firm couple years back. Just went bumper to bumper and pushed it back a few bays. Fortunately its a piece of crap with dents and scratches all over it so clearly didn't think I would mind. I just laughed and thought well done.