Are modern mechanics crap

Dean Lofthouse

Yes, most modern mechanics are crap.

I stopped using the local garage when they wanted to replace a leaking diesel injector pump, worn ball joint plus other bits for over £2k. Friend recommended his local garage who managed to fix the pump (replaced a washer/seal), ball joint was fine but did need a track rod end. Instead of about £2200 it cost me £150.

Another frustrating fact when i've used different garages is when they have no urgency to get your commercial vehicle back on the road.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off topic re Arb but just a heads up if you have your equipment serviced.

Over the last few years I have been dismayed at the level of skill today's mechanics have in diagnostics, if the computer doesn't tell them the fault code they are basically stuffed.

I had three problems with my Toyota Amazon which Toyota couldn't find and I did.

Today, my Daughters car broke down again for the third time with an electrical fault ( turn ignition key nothing at all), same fault it has been into Seat for twice and it has just had a service last week.

My immediate thoughts were battery terminals, main fuse, loose earth.

Now whether a modern day mechanic or old school or just a basic grasp of mechanics ( as many on arbtalk would be) it is the fundamentals, the basics of mechanic ing, something you should always check and be the first thing you check

Guess what?

Loose positive terminal....and I mean wobbly loose. Took me 10 seconds to find.

The car has been on diagnostics at seat.....couldn't find the fault

It's been serviced twice in the time the intermittent fault has been happening. Correct me if I,m wrong but when I used to service cars and trucks part of the service was to Vaseline the battery terminals.

I really do despaired sometimes, some of these "technicians" are in possession of diplomas or degrees.

Dont use grease or vaseline they contain petroleum products if the terminals get hot they combust. The spray terminal stuff is better as it contains alkalides to neutralise any acid around the terminal and prevents corrosion by getting in everywhere unlike the wipe of the finger most main dealers do if they can be arsed. The garages now charge over £100 an hour because they think they have you by the balls. If they dont and you have your own diagnostic kit they dont care as u are in the minority. Diagnostic kit is a brilliant aid but you still need common sense experience and logic.

Dont use grease or vaseline they contain petroleum products if the terminals get hot they combust. The spray terminal stuff is better as it contains alkalides to neutralise any acid around the terminal and prevents corrosion by getting in everywhere unlike the wipe of the finger most main dealers do if they can be arsed. The garages now charge over £100 an hour because they think they have you by the balls. If they dont and you have your own diagnostic kit they dont care as u are in the minority. Diagnostic kit is a brilliant aid but you still need common sense experience and logic.

well said we have our own diagnostic kit for our cars :thumbup: but common sense is far more usefull

Not all but most seem to be "parts changers".I had the water pump changed on my old Wagon when it went in for a MOT.Picked it up and soon after steam was pouring from the Rad.Had a look and the "Mechanic" had not only punctured the Rad,but rounded off all the bolt heads by using Metric Sockets on Imperial Bolts.

Another time at another Garage,I had the Head done on the Mog.They dropped the Engine off its mounts to remove the Head instead of tilting the Cab.Called me halfway through to tell me that it had no compression in two Cylinders,I went in and asked them to test it again.They had not closed the Valve on the Compression Tester between testing the Pots.Finally when I picked it up it was running and smoking like a two stroke.Why?Because they had not tourqed the Head down.

Yes, I think mechanics post the 1980s are crap, frankly. Main auto dealer mechanics are more into laptop dianostics than any old school stuff like under-sqaure vs over-square or cross flow heads advantages, or why cast iron blocks are superior to modern alloy ones... I'm not saying there are none at all in existence; but modern motorist isn't dazzled by brilliance nowadays, just baffled with bull.

I'd agree that on the whole, most modern mechanics are useless at anything other than swapping parts.

Been fairly lucky in finding a garage that is a little more old school, and will fix things instead of replacing them if possible.

He is good at putting the working man at the top of the list too, but if they really are flat out have an astra van, some big renault van and a nissan navara as courtesy cars. I've known him in some circumstances even let people take his personal D3 too.

That is progress, you don't have to waste time wiping the excess off your gloves. I use spray grease, spray copperease, spray everything! :thumbup:

Not thinking to do a basic check such as battery terminal clamp fit is unforgivable for a trained mechanic, however. :thumbdown:

A mates HiLux S-reg wouldn't rev up- classic fuel starvation, random occurence/severity, certainly not 'limp home mode'. The 'mechanic' was poking and prodding, pulling wires off, muttering something about an ECU. What ECU? Bloody muppet. I sorted it- blocked injection pump inlet filter.

That small filter under the spring can cause havoc with spotty faced fitters :) A good mate of mine rebuilds pumps for one of the recon outfits and he reckons 99% of the pumps he dismantles have no faults. These supposed mechanics are so quick to shout pump problem when if they took their time and methodically went through the system they would find the problem. Still its not them who pick up the tab is it?

Bob

Getting back to the original question, the guy i use for most of my gear does everything from a full chainsaw, blower, hedge trimmer service to welding, engineering new, or modifying, to all my mot prep work including servicing. He even does my chipper, blades etc. Now thats what i call a mechanic. He was trained in car mechanics many years ago. Then worked with small plant. Even a stint in welding and fabricating etc etc. Hes bwiliant. He is also quick to respond. He does the work at my home with me as the grease monkey so i know its been done right plus i am learning from him. Oh and Hey climb safe out there.

That small filter under the spring can cause havoc with spotty faced fitters :) A good mate of mine rebuilds pumps for one of the recon outfits and he reckons 99% of the pumps he dismantles have no faults. These supposed mechanics are so quick to shout pump problem when if they took their time and methodically went through the system they would find the problem. Still its not them who pick up the tab is it?

Bob

He wasn't spotty faced, he was at least 40! Local garage.