Are modern mechanics crap

Dean Lofthouse

A little off topic re Arb but just a heads up if you have your equipment serviced.

Over the last few years I have been dismayed at the level of skill today's mechanics have in diagnostics, if the computer doesn't tell them the fault code they are basically stuffed.

I had three problems with my Toyota Amazon which Toyota couldn't find and I did.

Today, my Daughters car broke down again for the third time with an electrical fault ( turn ignition key nothing at all), same fault it has been into Seat for twice and it has just had a service last week.

My immediate thoughts were battery terminals, main fuse, loose earth.

Now whether a modern day mechanic or old school or just a basic grasp of mechanics ( as many on arbtalk would be) it is the fundamentals, the basics of mechanic ing, something you should always check and be the first thing you check

Guess what?

Loose positive terminal....and I mean wobbly loose. Took me 10 seconds to find.

The car has been on diagnostics at seat.....couldn't find the fault

It's been serviced twice in the time the intermittent fault has been happening. Correct me if I,m wrong but when I used to service cars and trucks part of the service was to Vaseline the battery terminals.

I really do despaired sometimes, some of these "technicians" are in possession of diplomas or degrees.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they have a spray now so you dont even have to touch the terminals, and they call it progress :001_rolleyes:

That is progress, you don't have to waste time wiping the excess off your gloves. I use spray grease, spray copperease, spray everything! :thumbup:

Not thinking to do a basic check such as battery terminal clamp fit is unforgivable for a trained mechanic, however. :thumbdown:

A mates HiLux S-reg wouldn't rev up- classic fuel starvation, random occurence/severity, certainly not 'limp home mode'. The 'mechanic' was poking and prodding, pulling wires off, muttering something about an ECU. What ECU? Bloody muppet. I sorted it- blocked injection pump inlet filter.

The main dealer ones are not mechanics, they are fitters. Proper old school apprenticed and time served mechanics are like rocking horse poo now. Part of the issue being the newer vehicles are all electronic with auto everything and most of the electronics being factory sealed so repairs are not possible and items must be exchanged.

I fully agree that all workshop technicians should have a basic understanding, a boat load of common sense and the time to take step back and think about the issue before just plugging it in to a computer however time is money and the profit on parts means replace until you find the issue is a profitable business.

My lads just completed a three year Honda apprenticeship as a mechanic. He can strip and rebuild engines, eyes shut, I'm always in awe watching him. But diagnostics are done on a computer, it's the "new way". As such, if the computer can't find a fault, there isn't one, if it does find a fault, there is a charge to fix the fault, and a charge to diagnose the fault. Win win.

Another stupid modern example. A friend of mine is driving his huge Deutz

Fahr tractor towing a 21tonne excavator, turns left at a junction, indicates and the engine stops working. Dead. Fitter comes out and plugs in diagnostics, engine management failure due to ..... A blown indicator bulb!!!! How ridiculous and stupid is that? A £2 bulb disables many thousands of pounds worth of kit in thie middle of the highway, potentially creating a hazard for other road users. The world has gone mad.

When I was 7 we had an NSU car, one day we had gone to my grandma's house with my mum. When we came out of my gran's the NSU would not start, I lifted the passenger seat and hit the battery terminals with a spanner, bingo it started :biggrin:

Edited by skyhuck

Gloves ?

Is that those blue ones the doc wears for anal digital examination ?

I think I'd still prefer the vasaline to spray grease in that case :lol:

Skin cancer is no fun, and engine oils/greases etc are all carcinogenic to varying degrees.

Top tip- keep a bottle of talc handy to dry your hands and make putting on a fresh pair of gloves easy.

Barrier cream ...

I did start wearing gloves, not because of the fear of skin cancer, but because I have got used to having nice clean hands and skin again.

Problem is I went through half. Box of them on the landy engine change.

Now I wear those really thin electronic anti static gloves, they

sat for ages