Are modern mechanics crap

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'm quite lucky. I have two local mechanics who repair things rather than replace when they can and are happy to use second hand parts as long as they are of good quality. I've also had a few bad experiences, namely with dealing with blown heads, but I ditched those outfits and now stick with the two that can look after me.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The problem stems from the modern abuse of the word "technician".

Go in to anywhere selling anything mechanical and you'll see certificates up for their "factory trained technicians". What this means is they've sat through something in some cases as short as a half day course, done a little test at the end of it (usually multiple choice) that a chimp could probably pass at random and then they get the certificate, all of which obviously means sod all.

All part of the modern culture whereby selling is king, and everything else is just a distraction.

I remember going to a dealers with the companys van. Mr Designer dude supervisor came to me thinking I was the boss. "Mr F....... would you like us to change the indicator bulb at the rear?" Knowing it worked when I drove it in. I replied

" isnt it working?"

"It works but the orange coating is peeling off"

"How much?"

"£11.64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"No dont worry we will sort it"

That was 11 years ago and it was a citreon berlingo van. I had a look, you didn't even need a tool, it was 2 plastic wingnuts at back of cluster to access.

That sums up main dealers for me. Easy fixes for maximum profit. The owners are absolutely loaded and only interested in the money. So with that mentality how are the lads ever going to learn with the don't repair, chuck it and make big bucks.

I agree with Deans OP and have personally rectified "Professional" failures many times despite being mainly self taught.

What I dont get is this:-

Say I take a car in with a fault & the dealer said that it needed X to fix it yet when they fitted X it still had the same fault, Why the F do people pay for the part & fitting?

They have failed to fix the fault as presented & fitted a part that was not needed.

What I dont get is this:-

Say I take a car in with a fault & the dealer said that it needed X to fix it yet when they fitted X it still had the same fault, Why the F do people pay for the part & fitting?

They have failed to fix the fault as presented & fitted a part that was not needed.

Totally agree I never understand this!!!!

Because they are trying their best and they reason that part was faulty as well and contributed to it. They do a black magic thing that they think know one can see through.

I've thought this when I see people take them back again and again.