Pensioner Dies Cutting Down Tree

Daniel Jiggins

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to have to slightly agree with Dave, whilst its a tragedy that someone has died, he shouldn't have been there to die in the first place, regardless of motives, unofficial permissions or anything else, you make your own decisions in life, our decision is that we are professional saw men/tree workers, and even with all our experiences we still exercise caution and watch for tell tale signs, as trees don't behave normally, and at his age he knows he can't shift as fast

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

its called the darwin theory, evolution by natural selection. :thumbup1:

according to society today theres no such thing as an accident someone somewhere has to be held accountable for whats happened!!:blushing:

for example

the signs the police use at an road traffic accident used to say SLOW POLICE ACCIDENT

now they say SLOW POLICE INCIDENT thus meaning theres been an accident & somebody has to cop the blame cos "where theres blame theres a claim!!" :thumbdown:

its just how it is! the media will paint a picture of a poor old man scavanaging for firewood cos the gas price has gone up again it makes a good story & gets peoples attentions about other economic news! & makes the gas sellers look bad for indirectly killing a poor old man by over charging for gas! thats the press for you there as big a scum as the thieves!

the poor old kid sholud have sold his chainsaw to buy some cut & split logs or pay his gas bill not go out & put life at risk!

plus he was stealing which is bad!

if he had blown his & his neighbours houses up by trying to steal gas by bypassing his gas meter he would have been classed as a thief & an idiot for endangering life!

i see cutting a tree down in the park without permission or the right know how as the same as bypassing a gas meter in a house with out permission or the right know how! both are stupid & wrong! oh yeah and illegal!

Please tell me what evidence you have that he was "cutting down a tree" ???:confused1:

cutting down a tree or cutting up a windblow tree either way he was doing something well beyond his limits!

the proof is in the article he was killed doing it!

he should not have been there & should not of been undertaking the task which was above his level of experience! plus the legality of it!

Big Dave , what facts do you have about this ? As has been pointed out , in the picture the tree looks to have naturally fractured as opposed to bein cut, IMO your bein unduly harsh with no basis in fact

Please tell me what evidence you have that he was "cutting down a tree" ???:confused1:

Luton pensioner killed by falling tree

Police were called to the scene by the ambulance service A pensioner has died after being crushed by a falling tree in a wooded area in Luton, police say.

Officers were called to Rotten Corner, a green space between Sundon Park Road and Marsh Farm, at 12:45 BST on Wednesday.

Police said the 73-year-old man was attempting to cut the tree down when it fell on him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The death is not being treated as suspicious.

Luton Borough Council said it was investigating what happened.

A spokesman said: "The council's parks are maintained regularly and action taken immediately if any issues are identified following health and safety inspections.

"Initial findings suggest this incident was a tragic accident, however it would be inappropriate to comment further until the full facts have been ascertained."

It seems that the Police report say he was attempting to cut down the tree, when it fell on him. Can only report on the facts as they are presented by the report given, I believe the same quote you mentioned except in full.

easy-lift guy

Big Dave , what facts do you have about this ? As has been pointed out , in the picture the tree looks to have naturally fractured as opposed to bein cut, IMO your bein unduly harsh with no basis in fact

I go with this,and the fact that we dont know what happened,we dont know his skill set,& the man is dead,why not show respect & await the facts rather than jump to spurious conclusions,dignity is not retained for anyone by judging on assumptions surely.:001_smile:

You never done a rotten tree? Those things just go! And this is from someone trained to do them, I once did a six inch deep cut and the tree just collapsed, the bottom of the break looks fairly straight, so it might have failed as he cut it. Unless we had a photo of the stump to look at, we can't tell how he was killed, although I would guess at it was hung up, or he felled against the lean of the tree

If I knew the chap or was drinking in the same pub then yes I would show my respect in the usual personal manner, i'm sure the vast majority on here would do the same.

I see this as a case study up for discussion, the timing could be better, but life moves at a fast pace these days. If we took the sad loss of life out of the equation would the replies be the same.

I have watched many videos on here with people cutting down trees onto their houses etc and most of the responses to them start with l and end in ol.

Those houses could be all that they own (personal tragedies)putting the owners through years of trauma.

take care of yourselves and each other.

big douche

'The guy died stealing i do not like thieves of any kind!'

I do not like this comment or any others you have made. It sounds as if you're insinuating he deserved it! 'It was illegal', booh fecking hoo. You sound like someone who works for the council. BLACK. WHITE.

Stealing?! Its a tree thats fallen over in a public woodland run by the council, owned by the tax payer. So he wanted a bit of free fire wood? So bloody what? If he hadnt gone along and taken it the tree probably would have been left there to rot and go to waste anyway or eventually be cut up by council contractors and sold on as fire wood being extra cost to the tax payer as well.

If the tree was still standing and he 'felled it' he obviously chose one that needed to come down so good on him, it might have fallen on your kids while they were playing in the woods. Not to mention whether he had dementia, mental health problems etc..

Edited by B.C. Tree Services
added

If I knew the chap or was drinking in the same pub then yes I would show my respect in the usual personal manner, i'm sure the vast majority on here would do the same.

I see this as a case study up for discussion, the timing could be better, but life moves at a fast pace these days. If we took the sad loss of life out of the equation would the replies be the same.

I have watched many videos on here with people cutting down trees onto their houses etc and most of the responses to them start with l and end in ol.

Those houses could be all that they own (personal tragedies)putting the owners through years of trauma.

take care of yourselves and each other.

Well said Gnome, I too have noticed the way that any videos of damage or injury are accompanied by many a guffaw or "what a tool!" (or worse!)

And I think you're right about the other stuff as well.