Pensioner Dies Cutting Down Tree

Daniel Jiggins

I'm going to have to slightly agree with Dave, whilst its a tragedy that someone has died, he shouldn't have been there to die in the first place, regardless of motives, unofficial permissions or anything else, you make your own decisions in life, our decision is that we are professional saw men/tree workers, and even with all our experiences we still exercise caution and watch for tell tale signs, as trees don't behave normally, and at his age he knows he can't shift as fast

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just going down to the railway tracks as i'm looking for some ballast for the drainage ditch i'm putting in to stop my house from flooding. I'm sure the Railtrack folk won't mind. Don't worry i've got a torch if a train comes.

Taken from the news report link at the start of this thread:-

"Initial findings suggest this incident was a tragic accident, however it would be inappropriate to comment further until the full facts have been ascertained."

Its such a shame that some of you can't show the same common courtesy as the journalist who wrote that.

And people say journalists are heartless.

I'm just going down to the railway tracks as i'm looking for some ballast for the drainage ditch i'm putting in to stop my house from flooding. I'm sure the Railtrack folk won't mind. Don't worry i've got a torch if a train comes.

What a ridiculous comparison:001_rolleyes:

Ballast is PUT there to do a job and if removed would need to be replaced.

This looks to have been a fallen tree.

You could go litter picking if you wish??? That would be a better comparison :001_smile:

May be mistaken but the way i heard it, he was beside the tree collecting (or foraging as they called it)firewood which was laying on the ground,when the tree naturally fell on him.

More than that i cant say,but nobody out getting firewood wants to risk dieing,young or old.

Taken from the news report link at the start of this thread:-

"Initial findings suggest this incident was a tragic accident, however it would be inappropriate to comment further until the full facts have been ascertained."

Its such a shame that some of you can't show the same common courtesy as the journalist who wrote that.

And people say journalists are heartless.

Just curious was it an accident that he was cutting down a tree and the tree fell on him or was it a choice?. I suspect he made a choice and it was not a wise one at that. Some people make wise choices and live another day:thumbup1: Others make the news and either people feel sorry for what happen to them, or maybe the victim would have never been a victim in the first place if he had made a wise choice. I hope when I turn 73 I have enough wits to still understand and comprehend my limitations.

easy-lift guy

Just curious was it an accident that he was cutting down a tree and the tree fell on him or was it a choice?. I suspect he made a choice and it was not a wise one at that. Some people make wise choices and live another day:thumbup1: Others make the news and either people feel sorry for what happen to them, or maybe the victim would have never been a victim in the first place if he had made a wise choice. I hope when I turn 73 I have enough wits to still understand and comprehend my limitations.

easy-lift guy

Please tell me what evidence you have that he was "cutting down a tree" ???:confused1:

I don't think it is a ridiculous comparison Skyhuck.

Firstly a man died this is sad for the family. The event was avoidable.

Going onto someone elses land

Putting yourself and others in danger

Not adhering to safe working practices and industry guidelines

Having the tax payer foot the bill for the outcome of the accident not to mention having someone deal with the casualty

I think it is a good comparison.

The positive side of this story raises awareness of the problem and a few might be put off doing the same. But I would think most who do this regularly will just shrug it off as an accident.

The reason I have posted is I get a handful of chaps each year with their B&Q specials, shrugging off my advice for getting training and wearing PPE. saying they will clear my wood and the taking offence and calling me everything under the sun when I tell them that is not company policy. I offer to cut some for them to take away to keep my karma points up which has been agreed by the company but they get offended that I won't let them do the macho stuff.

I try like many on here to raise awareness when I can to Joe Public about the dangers. That is why I bother with risk assessments, maintain and use equipment and PPE suitable to the task, cordon off areas and protect myself and others when working to avoid events like this.

If I seem heartless and unsympathetic, tough.