Pensioner Dies Cutting Down Tree

Daniel Jiggins

If there is such a thing as a good check out than that's a decent example.

I hope his family can take some consolation that he was doing what he wanted and presumably liked doing with the added spice of liberating a bit of free timber to boot.

He is probably sharpening his saw some place laughing at the debate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get paid to go clear wind blown trees from parks, so some may argue he was saving the tax payer some cash.

He may even have been given "unofficial" permission to take the wood.

The guy is dead and I find your comments pretty distasteful, we don't know the facts, you are making a great many assumptions.

For all we know he may have been collecting the wood for some poor old folk from the village to help them keep warm.

Hear hear

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My only comment would be that regardless of the personality and integrity (or otherwise) of the dead in any such case, generally a traffic accident, is "Poor bloke/poor lassie".

Regardless of the circumstances, which while generally unknown can usually be reasonably deduced.

When in essence the actions (generally driving outwith their skill set) of the deceased, will have being putting other innocent lives at risk until Darwin intervened.

This bloke could have died from a dodgy ticker, triggered by the exertion/stress.

He could also have killed a bystander by his ill-considered actions.

So perhaps it is the uninformed "poor bloke" comments that trigger the other more reasoned measured responses.

PS

The older population are merely an older version of the younger generation.

Some of them must therefore be bad brutes/thieving scum too.

Tough.

Edited by difflock

Is it possible he thought the tree dangerous and took it on himself to fell it as nobody would take any notice if him? There are a million possibilities here.

If he did he was sadly misguided, and with tragic consequences.

A 26 year old was killed a couple of miles up the road from me the other night.

He'd stolen a scrambler and came shooting out of a junction with no lights on, and presumably little protective gear, at 10 at night and got hit by a car.

Some would argue he deserved it, others that it's a tragedy. The saddest part for me is that if he hadn't grown up to be a thief he wouldn't have died that way. Probably. There's only one or 2 bunches of flowers by the road though which suggests he wasn't hugely popular.....

Well of course there is speculation! that's what we do, it's a forum, people talk about stuff, it doesn't matter what people say.

One of the things that I've noticed in the modern age is this collective grief thing that people have. Like Gnome said; I don't know the bloke and to be honest I don't care anymore than the thousands of other people who have died or been killed in his town, county, or country in traffic accidents or jumping from buildings since this thread started.

I assume a lot of you are on FB, have you ever got one of those things you're supposed to pass on if you've lost someone to cancer? one click of a button and there you are, a caring person in front of all you friends and family.

It's BS