Unusual freebies from customers

Dean Lofthouse

I spent quite a bit of time in the palace 04/05, previous owner wasn't at home at the time and there was some degree of "light redecoration" but the pool was still available!

Apparently there were about 8 palaces ........

She also did Bazra (north) which was flattened in the war

And a university which went up too.......

Me I was kicking tyres on crashed cars ......

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a job on friday for an elderly lady who was originally from the area of two great edge tool makers. I was asking her where the forges originally stood and it turned out that she had worked for one of them...Gilpin's.

When she finished work her boss presented her with a set of garden tools they'd made to suit her size (7 stones). Beautiful things they are too.

She also had three axes. A fantastic little 1.5 lb hatchet; a 1.75 lb hatchet and a Kent pattern topping axe dated 1916.

I am now the proud owner of them and have spent this morning filing and sharpening. Each one has taken a razor sharp edge and will be put to good use.

Did a job on friday for an elderly lady who was originally from the area of two great edge tool makers. I was asking her where the forges originally stood and it turned out that she had worked for one of them...Gilpin's.

She also had three axes. A fantastic little 1.5 lb hatchet; a 1.75 lb hatchet and a Kent pattern topping axe dated 1916.

I am now the proud owner of them and have spent this morning filing and sharpening. Each one has taken a razor sharp edge and will be put to good use.

I think it's great when things are handed on to people as a true gift, in the belief that they will value them and take pleasure in them.

I was given something once by a sort of customer, in that we used to sell fruit from our smallholding when I was growing up and we built up a regular base of local customers who used to walk past. I would have been around 15 at the time, so we had bought the place a couple of years before. My parents had no experience of fruit cultivation at all (they just wanted the garden space) so I took on the top fruit, which was mostly apples dating from a 1919 planting. There was an old gentleman who used to buy from us as he remembered the varieties we had from many years earlier. One day I happened to mention that my particular interest was cherries. A week or so later he turned up with 'Cherries' by Norman H.Grubb, and 'Plums' by H.V.Taylor, as a gift. I still value these books far more than the ones I have bought for myself since.

If my children are interested then I will happily pass them on. If not then in due course I hope to pass them, and my other fruit books, on to someone else who will have a similar interest in them. Value isn't always measurable in pounds and pence.

Alec

Got several tons of top soil for my front garden of 1 customer, a nice metal frame work bench for the new yard the other week.

And a crate of Guinness last week for just a little hedge cutting job :thumbup::thumbup:

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Little diesel geny this week, engine not running so was given it. Took off rocker cover to find the inlet pushrod had jumped out because the tapet adjuster had loosened off. 1 1/2 hours to track down problem and fix 👍👍

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Got given this odd looking sledge on sat about ten pounder needs a new handle. Anyone know what the curved end was used for?ImageUploadedByArbtalk1405288006.886582.jpg.9f18b8580d16fe7a21ace993f2b87380.jpg

Hmm the pics make it look like a blunt splitting maul although it's not, the end was forged like this

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1405287978.601107.jpg.bf71d0efd94fc779d03c00c98bc07b0d.jpg