Go on then, What was your best Present??

Tommy_B

You may have just answered the question I was going to ask you, my aging Makita old red battery stuff is needing replaced and I was / am thinking of metabo but I'll need to do a bit of research.... with Makita I've gone through 2 lots of 2 batteries in 14 years, the 2nd being aftermarket which I can't complain about. [ only cordless drills ]

So in your opinion [ and I know it's an impossible question ] how much less do you think the batteries last and if just comparing the tools, longevity / robustness / power of motor, which would you rate highest.. and or any other recommendations ?

It's a big decision as you know, once you go down a route with a particular battery then all your tools follow.  
For much of my stuff I've remained corded simply so that I have the power I need, cheers.
The tools themselves will last just as long as makita/dewalt/Bosch etc. The batteries in my mind just seem quicker to run down. I have both 4amp and 5 amp batteries and they both seem to run down quicker than my milwaukee and strangely enough my ryobi batteries. I know my batteries are 5 yr old + so it could just be the age of them.

One thing to note, is that the metabo range of tools is nowhere near some of its competitors like makita and ryobi.

Another thing to be wary of is the fact that Hitachi and metabo are now interlinked which could be a bad thing. I was talking to the dealers I use a few weeks back, and they were explaining that it's looking like there could be a big upheaval in there manufacturing.

They also explained that all manufacturers are going down the route of making it harder to repair tools, in some cases things like a bust trigger could result in needing a new machine as the manufacturers wont supply a simple trigger anymore, and this is happening across the board.

Me personally, If I need a good robust tool, then I will continue buying metabo. If it's for use in the joiners shop where it's not going to be abused, I'm becoming a big fan of ryobi. I also have a few bits of Milwaukee stuff, which is pretty decent.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, hope it helps.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harvey b davison said:

The tools themselves will last just as long as makita/dewalt/Bosch etc. The batteries in my mind just seem quicker to run down. I have both 4amp and 5 amp batteries and they both seem to run down quicker than my milwaukee and strangely enough my ryobi batteries. I know my batteries are 5 yr old + so it could just be the age of them.

One thing to note, is that the metabo range of tools is nowhere near some of its competitors like makita and ryobi.

Another thing to be wary of is the fact that Hitachi and metabo are now interlinked which could be a bad thing. I was talking to the dealers I use a few weeks back, and they were explaining that it's looking like there could be a big upheaval in there manufacturing.

They also explained that all manufacturers are going down the route of making it harder to repair tools, in some cases things like a bust trigger could result in needing a new machine as the manufacturers wont supply a simple trigger anymore, and this is happening across the board.

Me personally, If I need a good robust tool, then I will continue buying metabo. If it's for use in the joiners shop where it's not going to be abused, I'm becoming a big fan of ryobi. I also have a few bits of Milwaukee stuff, which is pretty decent.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, hope it helps.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I'll also probably also continue to go with Metabo corded unless I start to notice a drop in quality which you highlighted may happen.

It's interesting that you compare Makita and Ryobi.. It must be that ryobi have improved in recent years without my noticing.. as may a lot of brands, Milwaukee is another that I've looked at but not used, there are just so many choices that I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and take a chance when it comes to renewing my cordless kit,  cheers.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I'll also probably also continue to go with Metabo corded unless I start to notice a drop in quality which you highlighted may happen.

It's interesting that you compare Makita and Ryobi.. It must be that ryobi have improved in recent years without my noticing.. as may a lot of brands, Milwaukee is another that I've looked at but not used, there are just so many choices that I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and take a chance when it comes to renewing my cordless kit,  cheers.
My friend runs ryobi tools and I run makita. In my experience the makita outlast and outwork the ryobi. I wouldn't touch it.
  • Like 1

Just now, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

Read more  

My friend runs ryobi tools and I run makita. In my experience the makita outlast and outwork the ryobi. I wouldn't touch it.

That's been my experience but from quite a number of years ago.

I agree that makita will outlast ryobi, and I would never use my ryobi stuff where I use my metabo stuff. But, in the workshop, where I might just be screwing some shelves together, then the ryobi is quite adequate. Milwaukee is easily on par with makita.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Forgot about this in the mayhem of presents and cooking! Usual socks and slippers but also got a torque wrench for my bike and some tickets to see a singer I've always wanted to see and who hardly ever tours so chuffed with that.

Best part of the day was watching girls open theirs and having lunch with parents. Hope everyone had a decent day!!

• Like 1