Environmental Permits from Env. Agency for carrying waste

hesslemount

I reckon if we can get wood chips, logs and timber etc upgraded from "waste" status and we're therefore exempt from carrying a "waste" carriers' licence tree surgeons and arborists throughout will be encouraged to treat their by-products as a none-waste resource i.e. mulch, fuel pellets / bricks, logs, pathway covers, childrens play areas, compost. If we as ethically and environmentally minded people are expected to act as such then cut us some slack on the whole "waste" deal and we'll use our by-products in a more constructive manner. There must be tens of thousands of examples where by-products of production have become saleable commodities - coca cola, cheese, manure, compost etc etc. Why downgrade perfectly good woodchip and wood (firewood or otherwise) to the same category as commercial refuse?

The question is not whether it's easier to just pay up 150 big ones but in the whole ethos of promoting effective and efficient use of a perfectly none polluting byproduct. I don't actually know the answer but do farmer's get fined for delivering ****? The ultimate recylcing is re-using as we've learnt over the past 10-years so let's get with the programme and find a holistic management policy on re-using and utlisiation of wood byproducts.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if we can get wood chips, logs and timber etc upgraded from "waste" status and we're therefore exempt from carrying a "waste" carriers' licence tree surgeons and arborists throughout will be encouraged to treat their by-products as a none-waste resource i.e. mulch, fuel pellets / bricks, logs, pathway covers, childrens play areas, compost. If we as ethically and environmentally minded people are expected to act as such then cut us some slack on the whole "waste" deal and we'll use our by-products in a more constructive manner. There must be tens of thousands of examples where by-products of production have become saleable commodities - coca cola, cheese, manure, compost etc etc. Why downgrade perfectly good woodchip and wood (firewood or otherwise) to the same category as commercial refuse?

The question is not whether it's easier to just pay up 150 big ones but in the whole ethos of promoting effective and efficient use of a perfectly none polluting byproduct. I don't actually know the answer but do farmer's get fined for delivering ****? The ultimate recylcing is re-using as we've learnt over the past 10-years so let's get with the programme and find a holistic management policy on re-using and utlisiation of wood byproducts.

I appreciate the point your making, but right across industry, various highly valuable products are classified as 'waste' before being recycled. One of our highest value recycled products: Steel - is still classified as waste whilst it is transported to a recycling centre.

Maybe the the licence should be re-named as a 'recycled products carriers licence'?

as a landscape gardener, who has had several communications in writing with the environment agency, tree surgery waste (logs,chips etc) is waste. ALL tree surgeons need a waste carriers licence to carry their "arisings"

I have one, and have been stopped twice. Never got stopped in the past fifteen years, but they are now clamping down on it

I appreciate the point your making, but right across industry, various highly valuable products are classified as 'waste' before being recycled. One of our highest value recycled products: Steel - is still classified as waste whilst it is transported to a recycling centre.

Maybe the the licence should be re-named as a 'recycled products carriers licence'?

That'd only work if the rules were different for Recyled Products Carriers and we were promoted to continue in our good deeds. Recylcers could be ruled by the carrot and waste carriers ruled by the stick. Thus recycling would continue to flourish. Try telling your domestic green, brown, blue black bin waste producers that they've to pay for their recylables to be recycled - there'd be little demand for green bins.

Just need to get away from the "that's the way it's always been" argument to one that promotes a good reuse / recylcing ethos.