Getting too old to climb...

MrArb

I think im getting too old for this, but...

i think thats a mental thing because im working under conditions I hate, for a control freak who rewards efficiency with extra tasks, the harder i work, the harder we work!

It defeats me mentaly, and makes me long to be doing something else, but...

I use my lunch breaks to look for ancients or veterans and fungi, my days off (rare) are spent doing the same, and my evenings are spent here on the AT forum.

deep down I love what I do, and always will.

You need to get away from that situation, I had exactly the same type of regime and it ended up costing me my physical and as a result, mental health, living and climbing with constant pain is not funny and at 40 it's getting less amusing still.

I think it depends on the person and your own physical condition

I am very close to hitting 40 and female and I climb around easy can bend swing and allways cannot waite to put my harness on each day and get into the trees what ever the weather .

when I have done a really hard day grounding/climbing I allways feel my age afterwards but a hot barth /shower does the trick but it does not stop me I still run rings round the guys in there 20s all day long.

I hope to keep climbing till I am old and gray I know one guy I work with is 65 he does all my jobs that are to big for my tiny company to deal with he climbs and cuts brillantly and he is fast too its all down before you know it.

Littletree:thumbup:

I'm 31,been climbing for nearly 15 years.I want to be out of this industry by 35.My reasons are as much about looking for another challange as much as they are practical.

I have worked with guys who have been climbing for 20/30 years and many are doing it because they have to, but fewer because they love it.Both those who love it and those who have no choice were more damaged physically than they would have liked.

However the pace of the work in the UK and the relitive small size of the Trees could well extend your Climbing Career.

I think its the aches and pains that break down many's will. The head may be strong, but when the meds wear off and the pains kick in every day, even the strongest will crumble. Work smart, work safe. and there is no reason why you cant go on forever.

:thumbup1:

I agree there.

I think it is more to do with the injuries we pick up along the way rather than the age.

Dont forget, your only as old as the woman you feel.:thumbup: