Getting too old to climb...

MrArb

Id like to hear your stories, opinions or previous exp of this subject.

Im a 30yr old climber. Iv been climbing about 12yrs. Im still fit and enjoy most aspects of my job but im not getting any younger and health issues are bound to start appearing sooner or later, as they do with all people.

From time to time I think to myself 'I cant do this forever' or if im doing a crap job in rubbish weather im thinking 'im getting too old for this ****'

What age have you retired from climbing and what did you do afterwards?

Employers - What age would you consider to be too old when your employing?

Do you work with somebody that is obviously too old? How old is he?

I dont plan on stopping climbing just yet, I know theres plenty more years ahead of me, I just want to hear your thoughts and stories etc..

48 now still climbing. enter the odd competition, have a fag half way round no problem,

employ young climbers and get a stif neck watching them, go back up my self:001_smile:

Idem here, 48 and still climbing smoothly.

I often wonder when my time will come to stop. It must be a though moment when you realise the moment is there. :blushing:

I think it will be around the age of 55.

P

I took a step back when i was 30, i am now 35. I do not have a sore back any more, i can put my socks on with ease in the morning, i have loads of energy to walk my dogs and do stuff with my kids, my white finger isnt that bad any more and no tennis elbow. I still climb when i need to, but i do things a lot diferently now when i am up a tree, as few cuts as possible, will get into a good position, 2 ropes on an open crown, rarely on the side D's to ease the hips, no hours on end at a silly angle whizzing away with an 020, shaking my hands to bits.:sneaky2::001_smile:

40+ and still climbing. I find I have less health issues, back problems etc than when I was sat on my backside in a ute all day as manager. Sure, there'll be a time when I just can't do it anymore but even if I have to slow down the older I get I won't be going back to a desk job until I really have to.