Getting too old to climb...

MrArb

Welcome Jammydodger.

Loads of good advice on here mate, about all aspects, including the stress thing. At 33, you are a but a sperm compared to some of the old relics still throwing their semi-fossilised bones round the canopy on here.

And I include myself in that select group....

Cheers for the welcomeMark!, I look forward to keeping an eye on the topics and maybe giving my 10 pence worth :001_smile:

• 5 weeks later...

Too old to climb? yea it happens. I thought I'd be doing something else by age 40 but it was 51 before I finally was forced to give it up--(bad hip, heat problems etc--). Loved every minute though. Last few years were made much easier by clever efficient tools like the hookaroon, the jet sled, the outreach device (especially). The port a wrap, and yes, I hate to admit it---ladders. Good humor and young help.

I stopped climbing 10+ years ago, punted the harness and ropes away and get in subbies now when I need them. Thing is, I'm getting the itch again to do a bit of climbing (43 now). Not for commercial reasons, but because I want to climb when I want to. Could be a purchase coming up from Jonies again. I wonder is it like being a "born again biker" will I be a liability in a tree?:confused1:

Been climbing since i was 17/18 im 24 now running my company since 06 and love the job. Also hate the job to sometimes ie people not turning up snow rain wind etc tools breaking cost of insurances bla bla bla.

But then come those crisp spring mornings when your high up clear blue sky freshest air around and then i think i fkin love my job.

Aches and pains well apart from needing a poo when your 70ft up i seam ok :thumbup:

Been climbing since i was 17/18 im 24 now running my company since 06 and love the job. Also hate the job to sometimes ie people not turning up snow rain wind etc tools breaking cost of insurances bla bla bla.

But then come those crisp spring mornings when your high up clear blue sky freshest air around and then i think i fkin love my job.

Aches and pains well apart from needing a poo when your 70ft up i seam ok :thumbup:

Doesn't get any better mate! Worse when the old prostate bother kicks in....

Just started to take a glucosamine and a cod liver oil a day,never used to take anything but now that my fingers,elbows,and knees are giving pain,mrs oldwoodcutter has taken them for years and now puts them out for me with my breakfast.Hope to feel improvement in few weeks.

Dependant on age OWC, I swig approx 1 teaspoonfull of quality 7 seas oil every morning together with @ least 1000mg of Glucosemeine sulph containing 2KCL or another high quality source but Vegetable based as opposed to fish are thought to be 20% more efective?

I started at the latter late20`s of my footballing days so been on it around 15yrs and I think my joints would be in a worse state not having any supplements so I`d say once you start make sure you dont stop and it will help maintain any tendons,joints & ligaments from further degredation regardless of what state their in.

High strength blue label 450ml 7seas works out around £4.50-ish a bottle with 3for2 @ boots which lasts between 4&5 month take this with GS (£1 a bottle of 30 "bComplete" @poundland, 2 tablets containing 500mg each of 2KCL a day) available from discount Poundland, Netto,Aldi & Lidl stores avoid big chain brands Morrisons,tesco,sainsburys and chemists as they can be more expensive for similar quality.

oh,,I`m 41 but 16 in my head :D

Glad to see this thread is still active. I would like to add a few more comments.

There will be many doing this work that will desire to keep going. Many will find other ways to utilize their skills. We need to learn from our subjects and realize that as humans we are not less complicated. Damage that we create in our youth will take its toll. So when you are young and hardy is the proper time to be looking for easier ways to accomplish your work. Those little aches and pains you are able to deal with are what will come back and haunt you as you get older. Trying to fix these problems with supplements is like trying to reform a tree after the damage has happened. Prevention is much better.

This is fine if you have already planned changing into a different aspect of the occupation. But a real bummer if you are planning on continuing climbing and are forced out by pain and infirmities.

Another thing our subjects should have taught us. You can't keep gaining weight as you get older and expect to climb. When you reach a certain point in your life, you will lose muscle mass. If you are heavier at this point than you were in your prime, how in the world do you expect your body to function at the same level? I see it as a natural retrenchment allowing your body organs and the laws of physics to still function with the reduced muscle mass.

Dave

For those interested in the history of their aches and pains should google "Cadre of the Mews".

This is a new book written by my friend and mentor, Ed Hobbs, with a lot of fun anecdotes. I had actually forgotten just how many things I used to break and the trouble I caused. Hmmm, could be selective memory.

But an interesting read, nonetheless.

Dave